cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Action state machine to change to next phase

Hi All,

I have a small situation. I have three criteria to complete, so some background I have got a column which has numbers 1, 2, 3 which corresponds to a categories. i have a workflow which has a state workflow state machine which I integrated with three if statements, so if 1 create item on another site then change to next phase which if it is number 2 create item on the specific site and so on if it is for number 3. The problem is that the workflow goes to the first phase but it doesn't work for number 2.

I presume I am doing something wrong. I would appreciate some help.

Many thanks,

Daniel

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Action state machine to change to next phase

Hello,

A screen shot of your workflow would help in this case, but are you using the Change State action to change to state number two?  If not, then that will be the issue.  Btw: there is generally a 5 minute pause (unless set otherwise) due to the timer/safe looping that takes place between each state change.

Thanks

-Mike

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Mike,

Screen shot

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Thanks Daniel, though for me the screen shot is hard to see even at 300% (becomes blurred), but I can make it out in general.   Can you create a second workflow with a Pause For action in it and pause for 5 minutes.  Let me know if it runs to completion:  if not there may be something going on with your Timer Service that I can suggest next steps for.

0 Kudos
bamaeric
Nintex Newbie

Hi Daniel,

I agree with Mike.  Maybe post a larger image or attach the workflow itself.

One thing that may or may not be related.  It looks like your far right branch of the State Machine has an "End Workflow" action.  I've seen some weird stuff happen when that's the case.  I'd recommend using a Change State control with End State Machine value selected instead.

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Eric is absolutely right, do not use End Workflow inside of your state machine.   Use the change state action as he said.  I too have seen strange errors End Workflow inside State Machine.  

0 Kudos
tolbrich
Nintex Newbie

Thank you for your thoughts.

Currently I am also considering to use the End workflow action to end a State Machine.

The reason is I want a simple way to end the workflow when there is no item change within one state.

Would it make any difference if I put an End State machine action before the End Workflow action?

It would be nice if some could shed some general light onto the State machine behavior regarding the End Workflow action.

Thanks

Thomas

0 Kudos