how to get the edit form link of a sharepoint custom list item

• 13 November 2016
  • 15 replies

Badge +7

Hello,

I am trying to figure out the best way to get the link to the Edit form of an item that is in a SharePoint 2013 custom list item.

I need to include this link, to the edit form in the custom list, in an email in the workflow that I have created, that goes to the initiator of the item in the custom list when the approver is asking for more information about the item that they are being asked to approve.

Hopefully someone can help out.

Thanks

15 replies

Badge +10

You can use this link Insert Reference

Web URL/Lists/List Name/EditForm.aspx?ID={List item ID}
Badge +7

Hello Sojan,

Thank you for the information. I am going to try your suggestion and see how it works.

Sean

Badge +7

Hello Sojan,

Using your example, this did not work out so well.

I used the following link in the URL:

https://webURL/dept/accounting/Lists/Orders/EditForm.aspx?ID={List item ID}

Here is the link that was returned:

https://webURL.com/dept/accounting/poreq/Lists/Orders/EditForm.aspx?ID=%7bList%20item%20ID%7d#InplviewHash56c0e914-4f71-4d8d-8a04-f15bd58b99d6=ShowInGrid%3DTrue

The above link when the user clicks on it opens the SharePoint DefaultEdit form not for a particular List ID item in the custom list, but a blank new DefaultEdit form from the list that I have.

If you have a chance please have a look and see if you can see anything wrong.

Thank you

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

have a look here for a way which works reliably for me  

Badge +11

WebURL and {List Item ID} are the references that you have to insert. 

In the email notification, use the Insert Reference button and select these from the respective tabs. List Item ID will be in Item Properties tab and WebURL will be in Common tab.

Badge +10

Web URL is the reference that you need to insert, it brings the whole url where the list exists. 

194382_pastedImage_1.png

Badge +3

You need to use list internal name.

Here is the Format

194388_pastedImage_1.png

If you are not find Site URL in Common section you can use Web URL. It definitely fixes your issue.

Badge +7

Hello Ramana,

Thank you for your input on this question. I have taken your example and am going to try it  out. It looks like you are using Nintex for Office 365, correct me if I am wrong.

I am using an on premise deployment of SharePoint 2013 and Nintex Workflow 2013 for Workgroup.

Below is a screen shot of what I have created based on your response:

194403_pastedImage_1.png

Let me know if you think this looks like it will work.

Thank you

Sean

Badge +11

No need for '+' in the URL. This is from SP2013 on prem:

Badge +3

Hi,

I am using on prem sharepoint 2013 and Nintex 2013

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 3:02 PM, sharepointsean <community@nintex.com>

Badge +7

It there a way to have the link open in a dialogue window in SharePoint or at least open in a new tab in the browser?

Badge +3

Yes, You can do that. Put target ="_blank" as shown below.

Please click
<span id="NWRTEReference1">     
   <a href="/test/_layouts/15/NintexForms/%7BCommon:WebUrl%7D/Lists/ListInternalName/DispForm.aspx?ID={ItemProperty:ID}" target="_blank" style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline;">here</a></span>&#160;view requestor information.

Badge +11

Ramana,

I think the link that you are providing is for Nintex form. Sean requires link to be opened from the email notification in the workflow.

, why are you worried about opening the link in the new window? The link in the email will always open in the new window. Is it not behaving this way?

Badge +3

You can create the link any where in the form or workflow. I created at

form and workflow everywhere it is working.

Badge +7

I am worried about opening the link in another window as I need to make it as easy as possible for the user to see the information that I am linking to through the email.

What I would really like to be able to do is create a link in the Nintex email that goes to the end user and when they click the link it opens the referenced link in a SharePoint modal window. This way the information is "front and center" for the end user and thy are not taken to another browse tab or browser window.