\Create item\" fails if Form type is Custom but no Start page is set"

• 4 February 2016
  • 6 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +5

Hello everyone,

I think, we found a bug or did a fundamental mistake:

We created a very simple workflow that should just create an item in another list by starting the workflow on a list item.

The workflow action is wrapped inside an action set that should run as workflow owner.

This works fine as long as the form type in the workflow settings is set to Default.

If I try to change it to custom an remove the value in the start page field, the workflow fails with the following error: "The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a different type of information." It doesn't matter, how starts the workflow. The error occurs regardless of whether started by a simple or an admin-user.

The requirement for removing the start page is that the workflow should immediatly start after clicking the action from the ECB instead of clicking "start" on the StartWorkflow.aspx-page.

On my local machine, I've got Nintex Workflow 2013 (3.1.5.0) - International installed.

I screenshoted the major settings in this workflow as following:

nintex1.png

nintex2.png

nintex3.png

nintex4.png

Is this a known bug or an expected behaviour? And if, how could this be fixed?

Greetings from Nuremberg

Ricky

Nachricht geändert durch Ricky Mattischeck: corrected spelling mistake in subject

6 replies

Badge +7

Hi Ricky,

It seems that you've found a bug on the "start from the item menu" option.

If you try to start the workflow from the workflow page of the item, this should work fine.

I reproduce the case, have tried to find which "Start page" URL could be used to workaround it.. but no success... sad.png

I would advise you to Create a case via the option at the side of the topic.

173696_pastedImage_1.png

Badge +5

Hi Pierre,

thanks for your advise, I've done so.

Greetings
Ricky

Badge +5

Hmm, since the spaces have been merged, the possibility to watch the opened case for this bug has gone. Before the merge, there was a link on the right side of this thread for me...Can I see this somewhere in my profile?

Badge +7

Hi Ricky, you're right.

Frank Field​, is there a way to open a case directly from a topic?

Badge +5

Hi Ricky,

Thanks for raising a case with Nintex. After testing this issue I can confirm that it was resolved in version 3.1.7.0 of Nintex Workflow.

Kind regards

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

If you're in a scenario where you can't get Nintex upgraded to 3.1.7.0, I found a work around for this.  You create a second workflow that uses the "Start Workflow" action to start the real workflow.  You set this second workflow to show on the item menu with the custom form, and remove the real workflow.  So users will start the second workflow, which will then start the real workflow.  In this scenario, it won't error out.