cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

405 Method Not Allowed returned when testing Web Request

I am using Nintex Workflow 2013 (3.1.6.0) with SharePoint 2013 on Windows Server 2008R2.

What I am trying to do is to use a Web Request action make a call to our products' (Ephesoft Enterprise) REST APIs.

If I run a test against an online test API site, with no credentials needed, this tests OK.

http://www.thomas-bayer.com/sqlrest/CUSTOMER/

I then move on to the REST APIs from the Ephesoft product. I first do a test outside of Nintex to make sure I can connect and get the expected results. Once I have authenticated, I see the results I expect.

http://10.1.0.6:8080/dcma/rest/getBatchClassList

When I then go into Nintex Workflow, and run the same kind of test (same URL, same credentials I used outside of Nintex), I receive a 405 Method Not Allowed error.

My first thought is, how does Nintex send the credentials, as if I send in bad credentials, I expect the same result.

Thank you,

Cliff Skoglund

4 Replies
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Re: 405 Method Not Allowed returned when testing Web Request

Hi Cliff

when you say "Once I have authenticated", what kind of authentication do you use ?

Did you test your action in real condition, not in "execute now" ?

Highlighted
Not applicable

Hello,

Out of the box, Ephesoft Enterprise uses Apache Tomcat authentication. This authentication method uses a username and password. No domain is required. Although Ephesoft Enterprise can use Active Directory or another LDAP provide, I have not set this up.

I have configured the workflow to run, and it does when I add a new document to the document library. The workflow runs without error, but the task I configured perform it's work. I have the results of the Web request sent to a variable, and then view it in a Log in history list action. The response is one I expect if the API call is not authenticated.

Thank you,

Cliff Skoglund

Highlighted
Not applicable

Our Engineering team looked into this issue, and found a workaround. I will include a summary below, in case this helps out anyone else.

Our Engineering team found that Nintex was using NTLM authorization by default. However, our Rest APIs use basic authorization. It did not appear that Nintex transmitted the authorization headers in the request to our Rest APIs.

Therefore, the workaround was to first identify the authorization headers, then added the authorization as a header in the Web Request action.

After doing this, the Web Request action works.

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Cliff, I'm trying to use a 3rd party REST service, and may be encountering the same issue.  Can you provide a screen shot of how you setup the web request?