cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

2010 - State Machine Does Not Change State

Have been pulling my hair out about a problem with a State Machine workflow not changing state from one state to the next.

• End State Machine is present
  • Issue happens in a block with two conditionals, and no task assignment; essentially a state for routing approvals
  • Workflow works perfectly until it gets to end of routing block with conditionals, then it exits - status shows that it completes workflow without changing state to next state - the last log entry is the Change State action, and the Workflow shows as Complete
  • The main difference about this state is that it doesn't have any task assignment, it is just a way to reuse some logic. It also has 2 nested conditional statement

Any help on this would be great from the community.  Thanks in advance

StateBad.PNG

Labels: (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: 2010 - State Machine Does Not Change State

Can you double check the configuration of the state machine action and the change state (ie that the state name is the same)?  I have had issues before where the state machine action is a bit glitchy, if you change any of the state names it doesn't automatically update the change state actions?

Not applicable

Thank you Cassy, all of the state names are mapped correctly, but I have changed or added state names. Maybe i need to delete the change state actions and re-add?

Automation Master
Automation Master

in my experience if you change the states in a state machine after you've populated it with actions there's no way to resolve that...  it seems incredibly glitch and something I haven't actually followed up with myself.

can I suggest that you add a new state machine to the workflow with all the states you require, drag all the actions that aren't the "change state" actions from the original state machine to the new state machine, then add new change state actions and configure as required in the new state machine - then delete the old one.

Maybe if this works, we have two examples of this being flaky and we can raise a ticket with Nintex to investigate, or at least give us a reason why this is the case.

I have lost hours on this before.

Thanks

Cassy

icarus2627
Nintex Newbie

I've noticed a few glitches too using state machine.

but as pointed out by people smarter than me you could try:

• adding 'commit pending changes' before a 'change state' action: Stalled state machine
  • Your workflow might simply be to large. I've noticed myself that workflows beyond 700kb get glitchy. To test this theory simply copy your workflow, delete a few blocks and see if your states follow through correctly. (This helped for at least one other person around here, but I couldn't find the topic)
  • Use alternatives to state machine (This may be the least favorable option as it's too much work)
Automation Master
Automation Master

Hi Pete,

Try recreating the branch for where it is hanging up.  I've seen changing the name of a branch cause this type of glitch before.   I think you can just create a new branch and then drag your existing actions onto it and then obviously delete the existing one and make sure to repoint your change state action to the new one.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Automation Master
Automation Master

did you get anywhere with resolving this Pete Fritz​?

julianajacobsen
Nintex Newbie

I was having some issues regarding the state machine hanging up partway through but indicating that it had completed the change state. After trying a few different solutions (recreating the state machine, reconfiguring all the tasks and change state options), I finally came across one that worked for me. What I found was that the state machine action worked provided it had 3 or less states to choose from. Now with only 3 states, my workflow is working properly again.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Thanks for all the great advice. This ended up resolving itself after the following happened:

1) Updating version of Nintex software on the server to January 2016 release

2) Purging SQL logs

3) Resettting IIS, and stopping and restarting all services related to Nintex and timer batch jobs.

Automation Master
Automation Master

Nice!  The Timer Service is usually the culprit when I see these types of things occur.

0 Kudos