Migration in sharepoint

• 11 May 2022
  • 1 reply

Hi

I have a site in SharePoint 2010 with approximately 2000 documents distributed in three libraries. The documents are stored in a complex folder structure so its hard for owner to reach to a document.

Now we have to move these documents in SharePoint 2013 environment in a new and simple design. Can anyone suggest me which approach I should take for the new design. I have read that folder approach is not a good design. We will be using CQWP/LVWP to show these documents so I was thinking to create different columns as metadata properties instead of folders.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated!!

1 reply

I have to say that the approach needs to be considered slightly differently. In order to fully utilize the new functionality in SharePoint 2013 you cannot just to an in-place upgrade, or a DB-Detach upgrade. And every-time I have seen this, it delays in the inevitable of having to change everything in the future anyway.

I would suggest considering the following:

1.) Setup 2013 with the shiny new functionality in the best practice way then migrate content over using PowerShell or a nice drag-drop migration tool ( Nintex, ShareGate, Metalogix, etc. )

2.) Don't Migrate, and put day forward content in new farm, or migrate non-active content to a archive location in 2013 and move living content manual omegle.2yu.co leveraging new features.