Lazy Approval Set-up - HELP!

Badge +1

I am desperately trying to get Lazy Approval working within my farm. We run SharePoint 2016, on premise, along with Nintex Forms and Workflow (2016).  We have 2 x web front end servers, and 2 x app servers. The 2 x WFE servers are load balanced using Kemp Load Balancer.  We also run Exchange 2016 on premise.  All set up is, I think, correct as far as configuration in Central Administration. I have the SMTP service set up on both the app servers and configured accordingly.  I have a dummy workflow for testing, I get the task through via email, I respond with a term - i.e. approve. The mailbox gets the email (I added my user to the mailbox with full permission so I could see) but nothing else happens on the workflow. What am I missing? Guidance is hazy at best.  Really would like this up and running but keeping on hitting dead ends. Help!

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

If you set up incoming email settings correclty then you should be file. Just to make sure you did: Did you follow the steps mentioned here?

https://help.nintex.com/en-US/nintex2016/current/sp2016/Workflow/NWAdministration/LazyApprovalSettings.htm

You'll havo to configure your load balancer to forward incoming emails to servers with the SMTP service enabled.

You can also scan the ULS logs for anything related to EmailDropReciever to check if something happens behind the scenes.

Badge +1
Thanks for responding promptly. It still makes no sense to me.

What does the email alias on the Lazy Approval settings page have to be? I had it as Sharepoint@nwfltd.co.uk which is what the task comes from (so same as outgoing email settings). The mailbox gets my response but nothing happens. If I change that to something Nintex@nwfltd.co.uk (which changes the reply-to address in Nintex Administration : Messaging and notifications). The email fails because it doesn't have a mailbox! When Nintex documentation states this: "Note: Ensure that the email alias complies with standard SharePoint requirements for email-enabled document libraries and lists. For example, the email alias cannot have an inbox in Exchange as having one prevents transmission to SMTP."

Isn't that a contradiction? What should it be? There's no guidance on what to do in Kemp LB for that either.

Thanks.
Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi,

Then alias should not have a mailbox as it gets stuck in exchange instead of being passed onto SharePoint.

Before even starting with Lazy Approval you need to make sure you can get emailed enabled libraries or lists working in SharePoint.
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/enable-incoming-e-mail-support-for-a-list-or-library-dcaf44a0-1d9b-451a-84c7-6c52e7db908e

Once you have this working, Lazy Approval will work.