Why we are able Print to PDF on Team sites but not on the Main site collection?

• 29 August 2016
  • 8 replies

Badge +3

Print to PDF - We are able to print on Team sites but not on the Main site collection.

We are unable to find the differences in the settings that allow one site to Print to PDF but not another.

This is using the new Print to PDF feature within the Nintex form.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution?

8 replies

Badge +11

Hi Vickie,

haven't had this problem before. Have you tried to turn the Nintex Form Features off and on again?

Are your teamsites below your main site collection or is this a seperate one?

Cheers

Philipp

Badge +3

The team sites are all their own site collections. The main site was set up first.

We deactivated all the features and then reactivated them.

It still doesn't give you the option to open or save when you click Print to PDF.

Thanks,

Vickie

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Vikie, can you please explain a little further? You mentioned that the Open button isn't available when you click Print to PDF? I'm not sure I understand, is it possible to post a screen shot and describe it further? Thanks, 

Badge +3

Vickie,

I had a similar issue with Print to PDF feature not working for Nintex but only when I had another 3rd party Branding solution/feature that was active for the site collection. If I deactivated the Branding Site Collection feature the Nintex Print to PDF function would work.

I just thought I'd pass this along as you might want to compare activated site collection features between your Team Site Collections and the Main Site Collection as you might have a feature activated that is conflicting with the Print to PDF feature.

Frank

Badge +3

Hi Frank,

This seems to be the issue. Even the look of Nintex Forms is changed by the third party branding solution. 

Thanks for pointing me to the problem. Unfortunately we aren't at liberty to deactivate the branding solution, so the Print to PDF functionality will be disabled until we develop a Nintex friendly solution. At least it works nicely on the Team sites.

Thanks,

Vickie

Badge +11

Hi Vickie,

for a quick workaround you can implement a simple print function by creating a new custom action in SharePoint Designer. You can create a custom action for a ribbon button on the list or for the different forms. Of course you can also create this button manually in Nintex forms. For the logic, all you have to do is to call the window.print() function. This will open the print dialog directly. If you have a PDF printer installed, you will be able to create a pdf directly.

This may not be as pretty/convenient as the print to pdf function provided from nintex, but its easy to accomplish.

Regards

Philipp

Badge +3

Thanks Philipp, I'll give a try. Right now anyone who wants to print is just selecting File, Print, Microsoft Print to PDF. The outcome doesn't look quite as nice as the Nintex Print to PDF, as it will print the left nav and such. I'll experiment and see if I can figure out a way to have it look professional like the Nintex Print to PDF does.

Thanks,
Vickie

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If you use the Browser Print capabilities, you can use CSS to help the print come out in a better format. Use the something similar to 

@media print

{

#suiteBar, .nf-form-footer    {  display: none !important;    }

}

But you will need to change the ID and Class selectors here to match the items you want to hide. Like left nav and top nav.