Start Rule

• 28 January 2005
  • 3 replies

Badge +1
I want to set up a Start Rule for an Activity of my Process. Basically I'm using GUI option to create rule. I want my Activity to start after 1 hr of starting of the Process. But how do I know when my Process has started so that I can mention it in Start Rule GUI?

Also is my understanding correct that the Start Rules can only be used to mention a TimeFrame alone. Does it mean that if I want to start my Activity after a Process/Activity level Flag is Set, it cannot be done by Start Rule?

3 replies

Badge +8
I want my Activity to start after 1 hr of starting of the Process. But how do I know when my Process has started so that I can mention it in Start Rule GUI

The activity will not be hit until the process itself has started. If this activity directly follows the start activity, you can set a start rule on the activity to start 1 hour after planning. Once the process gets to your activity, it will effectively wait for one hour before continuing. Otherwise, place the process start time in a datafield and set your start rule to run 1 hour after the datafield.

Start Rules can only be used to mention a TimeFrame alone. Does it mean that if I want to start my Activity after a Process/Activity level Flag is Set, it cannot be done by Start Rule?

You can use a preceding rule to determine whether an activity should start based on the value of a datafield. Think of it this way: preceding rules check IF the activity may start and start rules will check WHEN the activity may start.
Badge +1
Thanks Neil,
I understand what you say.

Otherwise, place the process start time in a datafield and set your start rule to run 1 hour after the datafield.

But, can you please help me how to place the process start time in a datafield. Where do i do that? I'm struck there.

Thanks in Advance,
-Kiran
Badge +1
Yep,
Got it...I can place it in my WebPage code...

Thanks for the help,
-Kiran