How to include calculated values in a multi line text box?

• 17 October 2016
  • 4 replies

Badge +4

I want the form to generate a statement using some elements from calculated values, then save it as a multi line text field.

Something like:

"I, [user name], hereby declare...

Signed,

[User Name]

[User department]"

Unfortunately i can't seem to find a way to include either the UserLookup() function in the default value of a MLTB or in a Label or way to reference the content of a calculated value field in either.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this?

4 replies

Badge +11

Hi Mishaal Bayoumi,

I don't think it would be possible to add this content to multi line text variable as such.

What you can do is create this text as a label on the form. So that users are able to see it when they open the form. When the form is submitted, execute a workflow to save the same text to a multi line text variable in your list. You can create this text using Build String action and using LDAP query action to get other properties. Hope that workaround helps.

Badge +4

Thanks Kapil,

I had considered that option but a) this is to be regarded as an attestation, so i have set up a special set of permissions where the user can create an entry but not edit it afterwards, so they wouldn't be able to trigger a workflow to update the entry and if i set it to run as administrator then every entry will show as having been modified by me and b) The LDAP Query function was removed from our toolbox for security reasons.

Any alternatives you can think of?

Thanks

Mish

Badge +11

Well, in my opinion you have very less alternatives since you have restricted the possible solutions.

You can create a separate list, where users have contribute permissions and will create this form. Once they submit the form, execute the workflow to update the item in the other list, comparing with their user names or any identifier.

You may still have to run the workflow as administrator or someone who has contribute permissions to other list.

If you cant use LDAP action, then you can also use the User Profiles within workflow.

Set a variable called varDepartment, Equals : User Profiles > Source: Department, when:Account Name Equals: User Name.

Badge +4

Hi Kapil, sorry for the late response. In the end i used Infopath to create that form.