Not applicable

"locked for shared use" error

server error in application "locked for shared use" I have a Word document that allows for simultaneous editing, I will have about 8 people filling it in at once, that are NOT dependent on each other. When a person is done with their comments I have a workflow in which they select "review complete". If another user has the document open, an error occurs that says "locked for shared use".  Is there anyway to set up a workflow with simultaneous editing that is not dependent on others having the document closed?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
andrewg
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: "locked for shared use" error

Yeah, that's SharePoint's Office integration trying to protect the document. When does the error occur, when the workflow starts, or after a specific action in the workflow?

Not applicable

It's when the workflow starts. A user cannot finish the workflow while another user is in the document. Is there a way to correct this?

Sent from my iPhone

drewha
Nintex Newbie

Hello

We are having this same issue, using SP2013 on-prem, Office Web Apps, Nintex workflow and Nintex forms.

On an existing workflow--that used to work perfectly--we now have this issue.  If the user edits the document (in our case, using OWA) and then attempts to complete the task, they frequently get this error message.  Like the original post, we have no requirement that the document not be locked for editing in order for the workflow to proceed.  It is a group review, so there is a decent probability that the document will be being edited.

Is there any update on this....a fix?  Or even a workaround?

thanks!

Drew

Not applicable

Hi Drew,

The only "workaround" I found was to start the workflow by creating a list item and attaching the document within the list; as opposed to starting the workflow from the upload of a document. You can still edit the document while someone else completes the workflow because the document is just an attachment within the list item. It is not ideal, but it the best solution I could find.

0 Kudos
drewha
Nintex Newbie

Thanks for the response Lara, that could work!

Cheers

Drew

0 Kudos