Workflow Error - Created By no longer exists

• 8 January 2018
  • 6 replies

Badge +4

Hi,

I had a scenario recently where I had to cancel a workflow on an item so I could run the latest version on it.  Every time I tried to start the new workflow on the item I kept getting an error message: Waiting for item to update.

This error only happened on this one item and I couldn't understand why.

Eventually I learnt that the person who created the item had since left the business so my guess is that the workflow couldn't update the item because it was waiting for a person that it couldn't find.

I'm now concerned that I have a number of existing items running on the same workflow and I'm unsure whether this error could happen again.

My question is: If a running workflow hits a point where it is expecting a specific person to update it or there is an action to send an email notification, but the person no longer exists, will the workflow error again?  And if so, is there a smart way to get around this to stop it happening again?

Thank you.

6 replies

Badge +7

Hi Christina,

You can add a Run If Action and in the condition block you can select "Person is a valid SharePoint User"  and then compare it to the Create By (under List lookup) .  If this condition is true then run the rest of your steps and if not you can send an email or do what is required to handle this condition.

Let me know if I need to explain in more detail.

Badge +4

Thank you, Francois.

This sounds like it would work.  I just need to figure out what I want the workflow to do in cases where the Creator is not a valid SharePoint User :|

Best wishes,

Tina.

Badge +7

Glad to hear.  :-)

As a possible option: If your Active Directory is reasonably up to date, you can always try and get the Created By's Manager by using the User Profile Query action and make it the manager's problem. :-)

Good luck picking the right person.

Badge +4

That would be ideal, but alas, it is not.

Thanks again for your help.

Badge +7

Hi @fccrous

I see how that would work with a Send message action. However, how to implement such a solution with a Wait for item update?

I am experiencing the same problem. The workflow will error directly on the Wait for item update action. It will recognize the item has been updated (by another user) and then error on trying to continue. And you can't put a Wait for item update action inside of a Run if action. 

Would love to hear you take on this.

Regards, Yvette

Badge +7

Hi Yvette,

If the Wait for update does not work, you can consider building your workflow using the Request data action, where you prompt an adminstrator or manager for information and this inturn update the required fields back into your workflow before it continues running.  I changed my initial Run if to a Set a Condition. ( I just love using this action, it makes reading the flow so much better :-))

I managed to put a wait for item inside a run if while testing this.  What problem did you run into while trying to do this?

Kind Regards,

Francois