Attach files to list item without the "Call Web Service"-action

• 3 December 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

I am trying to design a workflow that requests data in the form of a file attachment from a number of users, that then attaches these files to the corresponding list item. I have understood that the "Call Web Service" action would be ideal in this scenario, but unfortunately this action has been disabled with no exceptions by the organisation I work for...

I have been trying to find a workaround but so far without any luck. Does anyone have any ideas that could help me achieve what I am trying to do, given the circumstances?

5 replies

Badge +12

@MrSkold ....but what if you provide your users an URL to edit list item in your review task notification?

Since you're running a list workflow, using build string you can create edit item URL i.e.

WEBURL/Lists/{Get this part from your list URL}/EditForm.aspx?ID={ID}

Badge +1

@kunalpatel That is one solution, but I would rather not provide these users with edit rights to the form.

Badge +12

@MrSkold .....If you're using Nintex forms then you can:

1. Create custom permission (using contribute permission as template) and grant permission only to update the item. Take permission away to create any personal views
  2. Make all the fields (except attachment) disable if you're users are in a specific group 
  3. If you're still concerns that they'll see other items then create a view and filter it by Reviewer = [Me]
Badge +1

@kunalpatel Thank you for providing me these ideas, I will probably end up going down one of these routes. Just to clarify for future reference though, what I am trying to achieve is impossible without using the "call web service" action?

Badge +12

@MrSkold ....It can work but it will be little complicated and you will need credentials which can work too.