Solved

parse xml to sharepoint list

Badge +5

I have a Nintex Form (2013) with a Repeating Section "Milestones" in a SharePoint List that has two field "MSDate", "MSDetail".

I want to extract those records from the XML and add them to a separate SharePoint List.

I have found lots of references to parsing XML but nothing that is simple or works!

Can anyone direct me to a step by step guide to extracting the XML data and adding to a sharepoint list.

icon

Best answer by emha 4 July 2017, 08:48

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

see this blog  

Badge +5

The problem is that none of these posts show exactly what I should be configuring in the acitons, and switching between the various posts....I can see what actions I need but now how to configure them. All I am looking for is a very simple step by step process, explaining how each task should be configured.Vadiims has lots of screen shots and no details and the other post skips the starting tasks....

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

you will hardly find an example that would exactly fit to your specific case, since nobody knows your specifics, setup naming, etc.

if you are not able to make it working out of example here on forum, then you have to provide details what exactly you are trying to achieve, how do you proceed, how do you have set up single actions, what's working, what's not, what errors you get, etc.

based on those information we might navigate you how to make it working.

Badge +5

1. I have a list which has a XML from a repeating section of a Nintex Form. The XML has two fields MSDate and MSDetail

2. I want to extract each of the repeating section lines into a new SharePoint List as separate itmes

e.g. ID   Milestone Date      Milestone Details

1    30/06/2017            Milestone number 1

2    01/07/2017            Milestone number two

3. I created the XML query  

3. But then I am not sure of the next steps to get each of the line items and insert them into a new sharepoint list

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

ok, that's a good start

first, just for sure, is ValMsDate variable a collection variable? if not then make it collection. only collection variable will be able to capture all the repeater rows. with scalar variable you will get just first row.

do likewise for MSDetail result set

next steps you need to perform

- configure for each loop over one one collections (doesn't matter which one), eg.

within the action save value of current collection element and current index into scalar variables

- next use collection operation to similarly get value of MsDetail, eg

an element in the other collection at the same index position will hold the value of Detail field from the same repeater row.

- now once you stored single row values in scalar variables you need to use create item action.

I'm not sure about setup of your list, so hopefully you will manage to configure it on your own.

Badge +5

Thank you so much for this Marian....this is exactly what I was trying to achieve. I might document it all in step by step a repost on Nintex for other users. REgards

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Great!

If that answered your question please mark a correct answer

Badge +3

Could you please export and send the workflow and form to me? I am struggling with parsing the XML. I referred to many post but I am not able to successfully parse the XML. Thank you!

Badge +1

Hi @michael_campbel , would you be able to document the entire process? I'm struggling here cannot seem to figure it out. 

Badge +3
Hello Michael! Were you able to document the steps? If so, could you share the document? Thank you!