Show/hide items in responsive layout forms when option in dropdown picked

Badge +6

I have a travel request form that I am rebuilding in the new responsive layout.  I have a few dropdowns that were hidden or shown based on the chosen option.  For instance, one is what type of employee: State, Contractor, or Vendor.  Based on each of these, I need the emplyee number or the contract company name or the vendor ID. 

I have tried adding a rule but the only option is to hide not show, and the appearance by expression in the settings of the items don't seem to work in any combination.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

all the form controls are by default shown.

if you assign a formatting rule to hide the control, it's shown until formatting rule evaluates true. 

if your control is hidden when you expect it to be shown, check you formatting rule's formula. 

Badge +6

I understand the logic of this but how do I get this to happen?  If I have 3 choices in the drop down to choose from, how do I get one item to SHOW when that 3rd option is chosen?  In the rules, I have tried multiple variations of formulas based on help topics or even playing around with it myself and the items still show or stay hidden no matter what I try.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14
how do I get one item to SHOW when that 3rd option is chosen?

you have to write rule's formula to work in opposite logic, ie. HIDE the item when anything but option3 is choosen.

so the formula might look like

DropDownNamedControl != "Option 3"

or

not(equals(DropDownNamedControl,"Option 3"))
Badge +6

Beautiful!  Thanks!