Not applicable

nintex workflow

Hi - I am building a workflow and am asking for your recommendation here.  The workflow starts by the user executing a Nintex form which seeks certain approvals.  Once the form is approved, I would like for more data to be collected and for this data to be updated in the library list.  What action do you recommend that I use?  I have tried adding two actions 1. Request data, and 2. Update item, but this does not seem to work.  Any suggestions here?

9 Replies
deanvirag
Scout

Re: nintex workflow

You could always put a section on the form that is set to be hidden until the form has the required approvals. The hidden section would contain the fields that write back to the list.   

emha
Collaborator

can you enlight what kind of data do you request for?

what you have tried should work. can you post configuration of the two actions?

as well describe data types of used variables/fields.

ctarr
Novice

Hi Carolyn,

Definitely the Request Data action, however if you are expecting to see Request Data captured fields in the form, you wont.  You need to update fields in the list item form with the data captured in Request Data.  So basically - you create a variable - lets call it variable1 for lack of imagination - you capture information in Request Data - let say a telephone number and you save the information to variable1, you would then need the workflow to update a field called "Telephone" in the list item to the value retrieved from variable1.

If you want to get fancy, on your Nintex form you can add a flag, if the flag is false then hide all the fields you are capturing in Request Data, after the Request Data acton you then set the flag to true and your fields on the Nintex form will suddenly show.

Give me a shout if that doesn't help

Not applicable

Hi Carolyn,

You can use create variables & columns. once fileds get some values and use Update item.

Hope it help.

Not applicable

Thank you for this.  What would be my steps to do this however? What rules would I need to apply?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

I am requesting to obtain the start and end date of a contract.  The workflow is requesting for collection of these details once the overall contract document has been reviewed and approved

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Craig.  Thank you for your response.  I'm not expecting to add data to the form but I need the data collected to be added to the library list.  What are my actual steps to do this?

ctarr
Novice

Hi Carolyn,

This is exactly the same thing, whether you adding items to the list or to the form they both require a column or multiple columns to write the data to. In your case you need to get Start Date and End Date as such start off by creating two columns in your library for Start Date and End Date, then over to your workflow in your Request Data action create two inputs both of Date type and name them Start and End Date.  In your workflow create 2 variables called StartDate and EndDate and assign the captured data from the Request Data action to those two variable (i,e in the Request Data Action save the inputs to those variables.  After the Request Data action update your Library using the Update Item action and set the Start Date column to the value of your variable StartDate and End Date column to the value of your variable EndDate.

Thanks

Craig

emha
Collaborator

there shouldn't be any problem to update two date fields.

the procedure moreless described Craig bellow.

since you've written 'it doesn't seem to work' I assume you've already tested it.

have you got any error?

have you tried to write date (variables) into history log to see whether they really contain values you expect?

if you do not get any apparent error with update item action try to use update multiple items actions instead which allows to capture errors into workflow variables.