How to troubleshoot when changes to outcomes dont impact their corresponding line rules

• 11 September 2011
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

Ok, I'm going to use up my quota on this one so bear with me and thanks for your comments in advance. Here is the setup. I have a big process with lots of activities and line rules (Because of that I'm avoiding adding activities and other lines rules at all costs). One particular activity is almost not required in our current organizations so i want to pass through it in some cases. A great way to do this is with an escalation rule and setting a default value for the Action Result activity data field (If anyone wants more info, i think I have a cool conditional setup on the escalation rule so that I only expire the activity in specific instances. let me know and I'll post.). I have successfully configured my activity to expire and I have modified my outcomes to include the expired default value AND'd with the Approve value so it should work right? Well for some reason it's not. So, here are my questions,

• Is there a good reference for how the order of processing and indenting works with the outcome logic configuration wizard? I'm never sure if my ANDs and ORs are being processed in the way that I assume they should and can't seem to find a good clarification. That and how the action result selection should be configured based on the slot configuration for the activity.
  • Actually a detailed reference on the processing of activity functions and the events / client events in the activity would be beneficial as well. I'm trying to expire an activity to impact the way the outcomes are evaluated but I do have multiple events in the activity so is it possible to expire the activity prior to creating the client event and thus not having any outcomes to process...
  • What is the best method to troubleshoot? Currently I deploy my changes and launch a process to see what happens. I can tell by the process result that things didn't go as I hoped but I can't look back to see at what point the logic failed (specifically how the outcome didn't resolve and or correlate with the line rule). I think i need to use VS to connect to the K2 server process but I don't know where to set the break point to verify the outcome processing and the line rule processing.
  • Once this is working I plan to migrate some inflight processes to use the new logic. I would assume that the updated outcomes would become the new default for any activity that was instantiated after the process was migrated but maybe this is not a good assumption.

Thanks,

2 replies

Badge +13

Are you saying it should have followed the Approve outcome but it's behaving as if outcome is something else?

You are using escalation to expire the activity?

What problem are you having by adding more line rules?   Is it slowing VS2010 designer down or hitting some BP limit?

Badge +2

The current process has outcomes that are a combination of the action result and process data fields. I thought I could define a default value for the action result then AND that value with the Approve action result in outcome logic. An example of the outcome logic would be,

amount > 1000 AND (1 of Action Result = Approve or 1 of Action Result = Expire) Where Expire is my default value for Action Result.

I think what is happening is that the outcome logic does not get evaluated when the activity is expired but I dont know if that is the expected result.

I am using the escalation to expire the activity. As for adding line rules, Its not a specific problem. Its just that the process is very large and it becomes slower to modify and troubleshoot but its not a hard limit by any means.