Nintex Forms 2013 Repeating Section display in SharePoint List

• 12 June 2017
  • 8 replies

Badge +2

How do I take a repeating section control and display these items (screenshot) into a SharePoint list. I am so new to all of this.

The image shows Course Name (single text), Start Date (date), End Date (date), and Course Total (currency)

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hi Dawn,

The way I did it was using a Nintex Workflow. The list to contain the repeating section row details needs to have an extra column where you store the Item ID of the Nintex Form so you have a link between the form and the associated list items. Also, you need to give the Repeating Section a name.

Whenever a Nintex Form is stored (created or changed), it triggers the workflow which (in my case) and in a nutshell does the following:

1. Checks if in the list items exist with the current form's ID and if so delete them
  2. Next the workflow queries the XML ({ItemProperty:FormData}) of the repeating section (Output 1 gets XPath string //rsName and store it in text variable
  3. Next you need to decode the previouos result, using the fn-XmlDecode() function in a Build String action
  4. Next I determine the number of items and use a Loop action to process each repeating section row, using the loop index, to use another Query XML (input is the decoded result from step 3) and with an output XPath string for each field/column in your repeating section which should look something like: //Items/Item[{WorkflowVariable:numLoopIndex}]/Field_1_Name
  5. In the loop, you now can create a new list item for the current repeating section row.

KR

Badge +2

Thank you so much for replying!!

I am not understanding #4 that well (Next I determine the number of items and use a Loop action to process each repeating section row, using the loop index, to use another Query XML (input is the decoded result from step 3) and with an output XPath string for each field/column in your repeating section which should look something like: //Items/Item[{WorkflowVariable:numLoopIndex}]/Field_1_Name

I understand the Loop Action and processing each repeating section row. I have 4 items and 1 repeating row. Not sure about this Loop Index. Could you send a visual (snap shot)?

Thank you,

Dawn

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hi Dawn,

I'll see to send you a picture tomorrow as today I'm quite busy. As to the Loop Index, I have a Num variable LoopIndex which increases with 1 right before the end of the loop in order to know which I row I'm on. Because rows in a repeating section are stored in an array like structure and you only can access, even if you 1 row, the data via an index. As for the 4 fields in a repeating section row, these you can extract in Output 1 - Output 4 in the 2nd Query XML I mentioned above.

BR

Badge +2

Hi Jean-Pierre

Good Morning. I figured out that piece. Now, the workflow runs with no errors but doesn't display any information in the SharePoint list. Thank you for your help with this.

Dawn

Badge +2

Here is a screen shot of the workflow:

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hi Dawn,

Within the loop you do need to use a "Create Item" or "Create item in another site" to add a item to a(nother) list. Don't forget to include an extra column the hold the item id of the form with the repeating section.... that is if you require some kind of link between the form and the repeating section list items.

BR,

Jean-Pierre

Badge +2

Hi Jean-Pierre,

Thank you for you help. I have it working now.

Dawn

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Glad to hear I could be of help to you Dawn happy.png Feel free to mark my answer as the correct one to your question.