Workflow conditional start on document name change

• 24 February 2017
  • 8 replies

Badge +1

Inside a Sharepoint 2013 Document Library, I created a workflow that updates some columns only when same others change:

Workflow Settings - Conditional start

The workflow is correctly triggered when the first two conditions are true, but it's never fired when the third is true.

I've also tried all the three 'Name' fields available: same result.

I've also tried the third condition only: same result.

Where did I go wrong?

Thanks.

Stefano

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi!

Have you tried to log these values? I mean - to temporary turn off conditional start and just to log previous and current name to see if the differ in fact?

Are you aware that "name" is the column that stores the physical filename, like "myfile.docx", not a title of the document?

Regards,

Tomasz

Badge +1

Hi Tomasz,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

Yes, I know the core property 'Name' meaning and behaviour.

I've changed the workflow settings, removing the conditional start, but starting the workflow on item change:

Workflow Settings - On item change

and it worked fine after 'Name' property change.

Manually starting the workflow worked fine too.

Best regards,

Stefano

Badge +1

Hi Frank,

No the issue is not solved because I need a conditional start on document name change and it still doesn't work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Just to play around with the problem - have you tried to change the order of your rules? Put "name check" as the first one. Will your workflow start if name is not changed but other values are? And what about the name change in such case?

I would really recommend you to log out (to the workflow history) those two values - pervious name and current and to compare them then.

Regards,

Tomasz

Badge +1

I already tried to change the conditions order and leave the 'Name' condition alone: no changes.

If any other condition is fulfilled, the workflow correctly starts.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to log anything if the workflow doesn't start.

I removed the conditions and inserted a log action as first workflow action. The workflow starts correctly after the name change:

Workflow history

I've also enabled verbose logging: the XML log file of the first log action reports the 'Name' field already changed (see 'Before Value' column w.r.t. 'After Value' one):

Action log XML

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

My idea about logging was to verify if workflow really has a possibility to justify, whether the filename is changed. So to log out previous and current names of the file.

None of the screenshots you provided shows that sort of comparison. If you already did it and you are sure that the data Nintex Workflow is working with is sufficient for it decide whether the name is changed or not, then I suggest consultancy with Nintex Support.

Regards,

Tomasz

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Stefano,

during some searches in the Nintex documentation I found two things, that might put more light on the issue... First, the documentation for the "Conditional startup" which says, it is only dedicated for Lists (what I understands, it doesn't support library-like attributes): http://help.nintex.com/en-US/nintex2013/help/#Workflow/RootCategory/Designer/Nintex.Workflow.WorkflowSettings.htm?Highli… 

200205_pastedImage_2.png

In the O365 documentation, for the "Loop with condition" action (http://help.nintex.com/en-US/o365/#o365/O365WorkFlow/WorkflowActions-STD/LoopwithCondition.htm?Highlight=Loop with Condition) I also found and interesting disclaimer about rules.. Maybe it is consistent with onpremises, but cannot find a confirmation in the on premises documentation:

200206_pastedImage_3.png

Anyways - did you manage to workaround this issue? Or have you contacted support?

Regards,

Tomasz

Badge +1

Thank you Tomasz.

The conditional startup scenario is related to an item change, not to item creation, and this is available to DocLib too.

Regarding the statement for the "Loop with condition" action, it's not clear to me how OR-ed conditions work: the binary rule is that the expression should be TRUE if at least one OR-ed condition is TRUE.

Morover, I'd like to know if this statement is applicable also to all the actions with conditions and the workflow conditional startup.

Finally, I agree with you about validity of the statement for an on premise installation too.

I think I'm going to contact Nintex Support ...

Best regards,

Stefano