Destination Queue/Worklist refresh on AD Group changes

• 23 June 2006
  • 3 replies

Badge +1
Hi,
We have many long running processes (months in duration), where over time new/old users are added/removed from AD groups that are used to specify our K2 destination queues. We automatically 'refresh' our K2 destination queues every 10mins with AD, and this works fine for new processes that are created thereafter. The issue we have is that all the EXISTING processes now have out of date destination queues, which do not contain the new AD user. Hence these processes will never appear in the new users worklist. Is there any way (programmatically or otherwise) to ensure that when we add a new user to a particular AD group, all the existing K2 process destination queues are updated accordingly, and new users will automatically have the existing processes appear in their worklist? - currently the only way to achieve this is by manually redirecting these processes to the new users worklist....
Thanks in advance,
Carl

3 replies

Badge +8
The answer you seek lies within the properties of the activity :)

The option 'Use Dynamic Queues for this Activity' on the destination rule properties of the activity will have the desired effect. Effectively, if this option is enabled and the destination queue for the activity is refreshed, the destination users for existing activity instances will also be updated - in other words, if new users join the queue, the task will now appear on their worklist as well, and if users leave the queue, the task will be removed from their worklist (provided that they have not opened the task yet).

This is where you set the option:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/neiljohn/DynamicQueues.jpg

NOTE: enabling this option implies additional processing on the K2.net server when the queue is refreshed, so you may want to consider changing the refresh interval of the queue to a longer interval to limit the impact of the additional processing required.
Badge +1
Hi Neil,
Thanks for your helpful comments.

I have tried to verify this will work for us. I enabled the flag in the Activity properties, re-compiled and re-exported. I then added/removed some users from the AD group, then refreshed the DQ (using Service Manager). I then checked the worklist for a particular existing process instance, to see if it had indeed been updated. Unfortunately, work list did not change - I had expected to see the new user added and the old user removed.

The only way I can get the desired effect is to manually force this process instance back into the same activity (using Service Manager goto), only then is the worklist updated as expected.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance,
Carl
Badge +1
Hi Neil,
Just to let you know that I resolved my issues and all is sweet. Thanks again for you support.

One issue I hit, was that once I exported a new K2 version (with the dynamic queues enabled), all my current existing processes were running under the old version, and hence were unable to pick up the newly enabled dynamic queues. I assume the only way to enable these existing processes to use the new dynamic queues is to migrate them from their current version, to the newly exported version.

Have you had any experience at migrating processes from one K2 exported version, to another? I would assume this must be a common issue for other K2 users?

Thanks,
Carl