moving SharePoint list smartobject from dev - staging - prod

• 24 April 2011
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

Hi all

Can a SmartObject created for a SharePoint list in development environment be reused in staging and production?

This is my scenario:

I have created a smartobject for a SharePoint list in development environment.  Then I created an InfoPath and integrated it with that smartobject. This works just fine in development.

Now when I moved this InfoPath form to staging, it did not work in spite of setting the SmartObject's SharePoint url with the correct staging url. This is because of the workspace url being different in these 2 environments.

Do we have to re-integrate InfoPath form for every environment? Is there a best practice around making the workspace urls dynamic?

Thanks

4 replies

Badge +5

Hi,

No need to re-integrate the SmartObject in your form each time - you just need to synchronize the GUID's for the SmartObject in each environment.

On the site that contains your list in dev select Site Actions -> K2 Site Settings. Under SmartObject Management select "Export SmartObject Configuration". K2 will generate a Config.xml file.

Save this file and in your other environments "Import SmartObjects Configuration"

This will synchronize the GUID to the same as the dev environment :)

Badge

Hi,

We rely on infopath and smartojbect integration quite regularly. The key thing you have to think about when it comes to smartobjects and service brokers is to ensure that the Service Type, and Service Instance guids are thesame accross environments. The smartobject it self is never usually a problem. The dependency of the smartobject is infact the service instance and not the physical sharepoint site.

So in your production environment I would recommend when registering the SharePoint service instance against the site you copy the GUID from your development environment and paste it over the one that the wizard autmatically generates.

You should then be able to deploy the smartobject no problem.

Regards,

Carlos

Badge +3

This worked. Thank you!

Badge +1

Hi Carlos

I am having a similar problem and like to follow your advice here but I don't understand what to do here.   Can you please elaborate the solution a little bit more.   Thanks

"So in your production environment I would recommend when registering the SharePoint service instance against the site you copy the GUID from your development environment and paste it over the one that the wizard autmatically generates. "

Xuanle