Am I using IPC correctly? If so, how can I pass the InfoPath XML Schema to it?

• 12 August 2014
  • 2 replies

Badge +9

This is my first time using an IPC event and just want to ensure I am using it correctly because I'm having some difficulty getting it to work.

I am attempting to use many Word Document Events to create a Word document version of my form and then convert that to a PDF.  This needs to happen in almost every step of my workflow.  So everytime there is a user action in the workflow I need to run all the steps again to update the PDF.  I thought it would be best to make the whole conversion part a separate workflow, that way I can just use an IPC event in the main workflow instead of repeating the steps every time.

Does that make sense?

If so, that's a relief because it made perfect sense to me *lol*

But then the question is how can I pass the XML schema of my InfoPath form to this process?  I understand the fields have to exist in the new process and there's a screen to assign them, but because it's an XML schema it's a bit unclear.  Do I just manually create all the fields?  How will the new process know which are repeatable?  Is there some easy way to copy & paste the schema to create the fields automatically?

Thanks

2 replies

Badge +9

I took a peak at the K2 blackpearl book from 2009 and found the following:

"Due to the fact that the child process is a completely autonomous process, the IPC Event should not be used for creating reusable process modules.  The child process must represent a business process within the organization that operates almost independently from the parent business process."

That tells me what I am attempting to do is not ideal for an IPC Event.  I understand why but I don't understand how else I could achieve what I want to then.  Can anybody chime in?

I'm also still having issues getting the InfoPath XML schema to pass into the child process :(

Badge +8

Re book quote: I would guess that is the author's opinion, one which I'm not even sure K2 would agree with.  Creating reusable process modules is certainly valid design pattern, and one which K2 encourages.  But then again, that's just my opinion. :)

Re InfoPath XML: We don't do InfoPath here, so I'll just throw an idea at you.  Can you access the schema from the parent process?  If so, can you assign the schema to a data field in the child process?  Even if you have to do some additional processing in your child process to work it all out, the schema data should at least be there, yes?