Unable to connect to [server] on port 5252 / Invalid Archive Type

• 11 August 2014
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

Hello,

I'm having an intermittent issue with the K2 server on one of our machines. Every time I try to start a workflow through my K2 smartform, I get the error: "

Unable to connect to CNCYDEV on port 5252. No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it." It is intermittent. About 15-20 minutes after this error occurs, I check the connection through K2 Studio -> Object Explorer and test the connection of the workflow server. I'm also able to deploy a workflow after I see the test succeeds. After that, I go back to K2 Designer, run my form, and click a button to start the workflow, and I receive the message again. It's almost like clicking the button is killing the server somehow, because the server will work for a while then stop working when I execute the form.

I've been researching this topic a lot, and have tried the following:

• Restarting the K2 Server. Upon doing so, I headed to the logs area and found an error in the log created just after the server restarted. The error is: "
     "757611","2014-08-07 15:00:58","Error","General","1","GeneralErrorMessage","K2LogServer.LogProcInst","1 Invalid archive type","","","cncydev:C:Program Files (x86)K2 blackpearlHost ServerBin","757611","537830cbc7c440b2a092dff1ed86f693",""". I researched this error also. One of the things I tried was checking if any processes are using port 5252. Nothing is using that port, even when the K2 Server is running. I also verified that all of the DLLs in my HostServer/bin folder are the same version as the K2 Blackpearl installation, and they are. My host server configuration is enabled to show all messages, not just errors, but the info and debug messages aren't giving me any clues.
  • Performing an IIS Reset 
  • Checking the event log - nothing
  • Completely restarting the server - nothing changes

Is there anything else I can try? I think the root cause of this issue is "Invalid archive type" but it seems that I've tried everything that could be the cause of that error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

This is commonly caused by version mismatches, but you seem to have already checked that.  Have you deployed a process that uses a role with a refresh interval of 0?  That would put the server into a looping state which could throw this error.  Could also be caused by having Anonymous Authentication enabled in IIS.

Badge +2

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for your reply. We don't have any processes that are deployed to the server with roles (i.e. the roles page of those processes in the Management Console is empty). Also, we don't have any websites on IIS that uses anonymous auth, except the Default Web Site.

Edit: Update on this, I actually found some older versions of K2 dlls in old projects, which I deleted. Unfortunately this is an intermittent issue, so initially the connection tested fine in K2 Studio, but upon clicking the button in my smartform, I got a slightly different connection error:

"Unable to connect to CNCYDEV on port 5252. A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond."

I've tried pinging http://cncydev:5252 on both the host machine and my local PC but neither can find the host. Any ideas for this one?

-Paul