How to Add a Related Item to a Task Item

• 3 September 2014
  • 8 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +4

I'm creating custom tasks use using the 'Create List item' Action'

Now I want to add a 'related item' to a task, but somehow a related item doesn't get added...

I tried multiple options:

What should be inserted here to get this to work?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If this is the new 2013 Related Items field then it is actually two fields (RelatedItems and RelatedLinks) They work together to create a link to the item. When I've used it within a task i get a model to choose what item to link to and provide a relative link to the item. I would imagine an absolute or relative should work. But I've not tried to add to this field a value outside the GUI so I'm not sure what SharePoint is actually doing to these fields once you add something. maybe both fields need to be populated by you if you do it "behind the scenes".

Go ahead and provide a related item manually from the gui, use PowerShell or a SP Manager to see the values in both fields and model after those.

Badge +2

What´s the reason why do you don´t want to use the Flexi Task Action? There´s a standard form included which shows the related item. By using Nintex forms you  can customize the form and it looks more better than the standard form.

Badge +4

We needed more colums in our tasks. We add a 'group role and customer name' to tasks so users can quickly sort tasks and we can have a grouiped views.  Next to this it doesn't seem to be possible to stop Flexi tasks to send emails to users (I know the ability is in the 'full 2013 product' but I haven't found this option in Workflow for Office 365).

Badge +4

Yep there are actually two fields, but the Nintex Workflow 'Create/Update task Action' only allows me to fill One (Related Items). And since we are building workflows for customers using SharePoint Online, usage of Powershell is limited and  SPManager doesn't work...

@Nintex Product team: Could we get a way to also set the RelatedLinks Field?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I"m not sure about stopping notification emails online, but you can create your own content type with the Nintex content type used for flexi tasks as parent, and then use it in the flexi task to add more fields (if it needs to be a site content type).

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hey Maarten, Did you want to discuss anything further on this topic?

Badge +3

I found this blog, Utilizing the new Related Items column via workflow​, which works through the issue using OOTB workflow and the JSON format. A major issue with this is that there is not an OOTB workflow method to return the list id or the web (site) id, so they have to be hardcoded for the specific web and list. The good news is that the JSON works to add the item correctly with the Update Item method.

Can I assume from your question that this did not work for you with the Nintex Create List Item?

Badge +3

In doing this with OOTB SharePoint workflow the JSON format is

[{"ItemId":"<guid>","WebId":"<guid>","ListId":"<guid>"}]