Best way to work with multi select(Check Boxes) field and send email communication to the respected factory

• 14 August 2017
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hi I am confused on how to work with Multi select field and send email communication whenever a person select one of the check box.

Scenario

1) I created an item Example 1 and send communication to 5 Companies. Now each company will come and select if they are accepting this or not using multi select value.

206596_pastedImage_1.png

2)  If AT & T Accepted this item then they will click respective check box and click on save then i need to send an email 

206597_pastedImage_2.png

3) Now Verizon opened the item and accepted the item then an email should be sent to Verizon. In the same way for all the companies, Whoever accept this item then an email should be sent to the admin that this company accepted this code.

206599_pastedImage_5.png

Any thoughts on how can i do this? 

I tried with condition but it is failing.

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

You'll need to give us a little more detail on how exactly it's failing by showing us your workflow. You'll also need to check the output of your multi select. If you were to build this using a Nintex form then the values selected in a multi select are encapsulated within square brackets like so

[AT&T, Verizon]

You'd then need to perform a bit of work to extract the value from this string. You also need to figure out a way to make sure the workflow doesn't send the email to the companies who have previously ticked the box. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

so you mean each company directly edits the list item?

I wouldn't do it this way at all - sharepoint doesn't deal with concurrency at all. So you are at risk  that when two or more companies will be about to to register their accept, they will mutually overwrite their responses.

I'd suggest different approach - once the item is created, start a workflow that assigns a task to each company. once a company responses to task and the response is to accept then workflow updates list field.

side note: with single multiselect control and direct edit access you are even not able to manage who can check or uncheck wich option. so you might not be able to prevent that company X makes a response on behalf of company Y.