Not applicable

generate ID

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I would like to generate a number with the following format YYYY-ID and store it in my List called for example AAA , YYYY is current year and ID would start from 1 and will be increased for each item created in the AAA list.

How do I implement that? I thought I would create another list called BBB with one field called CreatedID, in my workflow I would check BBBlist and get the value , add 1 to it and store it again in BBB list and also store it in AAA list because this ID must be displayed in the form.

what action item do I use to get value of BBB list?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dan_Stoll
Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Re: generate ID

Jump to solution

A little confused (but that's easily done  lol )

If you want to create an ID use the "Build String" action in workflow and then use the Syntax:

fn-FormatDate({Common:CurrentDate},yyyy)-{ItemProperty:ID}

To start with we have an Inline function 'fn-FormatDate()' then using the 'Current Time' from the 'Common' context items.. Following the syntax from Custom Date and Time Format Strings  you need yyyy to return just the year from a date string.

Once our inline function is built out, just add the - and then insert the ID field from the Item properties and store this into a variable for use to add it to a field, or to create a new item in another list etc

Untitled picture1.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
ptidaelus
Forms Fledgling

Jump to solution

in addition to Dan's remark:

you can work with a master ID list, so the second part in the build string would come from there. How to work with that, is explained on next blog: Nintex Workflows makes it easy to create an auto incrementing column in SharePoint .

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Great thank you so much

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
kevzhu
Nintex Observer

Jump to solution

Hi @Dan_Stoll ,

Your solution has been really great, was able to generate ID in workflow.

Do you know how I could include this ID from the workflow into sharepoint? Not sure how to link it to Nintex form or sharepoint? Is there a solution?

Thank you!

0 Kudos