Understanding \Require Manage List Rights\" WF-Starting Option"

• 16 February 2017
  • 2 replies

Badge +11

Hi Folks,

first of all I would like to know if the Workflow-Settings checkbox "Require Manage List Rights" only applies to manually started workflows or does it also apply to workflows that should be started automatically by item-created/item-modified? Any official information on that would be great!

This is the option I'm talking about:

199465_pastedImage_1.png

Unfortunately the help is not 100% clear at this point as it says "When this setting is checked, the user starting the workflow will require the Manage Lists right and the Contributor permissions level.".

Of course I tested it myself but got a rather unsatisfying result:

First Test on Nintex 2013 (my local machine):

• Activated the checkbox "Require Manage List Rights" in the workflow
  • Removed ALL permissions from the list AND the web for a test user
  • Provided Contribute-rights for the test user only on the list
  • Checked if Testuser can start workflow manually ==> No, he can't!
  • Checked if Testuser can start workflow by creating an item ==> Yes, he can!

Result: Seems like the "Require Manage List Rights" option does not affect workflows started automatically by creating/updating an item.

Second Test on Nintex 2010 (customer machine):

• Activated the checkbox "Require Manage List Rights" in the workflow
  • Checked users permission (Has contribute on whole site and the specific list but no "Manage Lists" right)
  • Checked if User can start workflow by creating an item ==> No, he can't!
  • Checked if User can start workflow manually ==> Still waiting for feedback from the customer

Result: Seems like the "Require Manage List Rights" option DOES affect workflows started automatically by creating/updating an item.

Am I missing something obvious here? Or did Nintex modify this option for 2013 without asking me if I'm fine with it? silly.png

I would be very grateful if someone could check this out on his/her machine and give me some feedback on the results.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers

Philipp

2 replies

Badge +16

Interesting results. I always thought the setting meant that you had to have edit rights to the list (I.e change list settings, add and remove columns etc) but have never tested this.

please keep us posted on the user result for 2010 manually starting a workflow. 

Are you able to test with "design" or "edit" permissions?

Badge +11

Hey Cassy,

thanks for your reply. Yep, the "Edit" permission level normally includes the "Manage Lists" right and therefore should be needed if the box is checked.

On my local 2013 I can test everything that's not crashing my farm wink.png

Unfortunately on my customers 2010 I'm only site collection admin and have no other account that can be used to test the permissions (all regular users have contribute without delete here). I will ask for that. In case I'm able to test this, I will give you feedback on the result.

Cheers

Philipp