Capture Workflow Task instructions

• 20 January 2016
  • 5 replies

Badge +3

Hi All,

after creating a usertask, I used K2 native workflow action, and that includes, the action, the name of the activity, instructions and the submit button.

however there is no way of interacting with this view in the form whatsoever! is there anyway of capturing the instructions comments to a parameter in the form itself?? not just in the K2 workfllow reporting table? I need to write that to a database!

Thanks! 

5 replies

Badge +7

Zack, 

I am not quite sure of what you are asking. Are you using K2 Studio?  K2 for Sharepoint? K2 Designer? Smartforms? etc...

"however there is no way of interacting with this view in the form whatsoever!is there anyway of capturing the instructions comments to a parameter in the form itself?"

Can you post screenshots of where you are at in the process? 

Please elaborate so that we may try and help you solve your issue. 

Thanks

Chad

Badge +4

Hi Zack,

What I would do in your case (using K2 Studio):

1. Create a Data Event (Transfer Data) in the same activity that holds the Client Event with the Instruction field that you want to save (Data Event should be below Cleint Event).

2. Transfer Activity Description (it holds the Task Instruction) data FROM System > Reports > Activity Instance Report SmO (you need to specify current Process Instance ID and Activity Instance ID from Workflow Context Browser) TO the Smartobject field that is tied to your destination DB.

Generally speaking, the Activity Description column in System > Reports > Activity Instance Report SmO holds the Task Instruction text.

HTH,

Eugene

Badge +3

I am actually using K2 designer ( not my choice ). in the workflow, the user gets assigned a smartform task, and is presented with the whole form but also with a workflow view action at the bottom  ( see picture 1 ) 

I want to caprture that instruction field that K2 automatically generates for it's workflow view and write it back to the workflow where it's used later.

I wold think this could be a little easier to get and interact with IN the form itself and not use any smart object of any sort.

Thank you guys for the replies! 

12407i35CA9A816B859BFA.png
Badge +7

Zack, 

I think I understand, you want the user to action something in the form and not have a separate view pop up in the top or bottom. (in your case the bottom) 

In your workflow in K2 Studio, in the client event wizard navigate to the Action Display screen:

10991i5F7DC67746090E64.jpg

In my example I have "Workflow view at TOP of the form" (I assume you have bottom) Creating a form like this:

15172iA36C0352E4F3D1D3.jpg

Change that to "Configure how the actions display later...":

16971iF2694AB60009A02D.jpg

Back in K2 Designer, on your view;

Create a drop down in a view that has the desired outcomes (in my example, I have 'end' and 'loop')

Also create a label with your instructions. You can access those instructions later wherever and whenever you want: 

12340iF74FAF6363EA5D4E.jpg

The rules need to be modified to action the worklist (This is not complete):

13632i5BD8C061F33B0D34.jpg

This gives you a cleaner look for the end user, no extra view on the top or bottom, user interacts directly with the form:

12905i90A12FB9A0D0143D.jpg

If you want more instructions on how to send that instructions label to a data field in the workflow, I can show you that as well. 

This does get a bit more complicated, but you have a ton more control than over the built in Action Display Settings.

I hope this answered your question. 

Thanks and Regards,

Chad

Badge +3

It answers it very well. I have done something like this in the past! 

I was inquiring about how to interact with the default K2 workflow view that K2 creates when you don't use an exisiting control to display the actions or configure the action  in the designer, I'm guessing that's out of question! I will switch the user tasks to use one I already created. 

Thanks again for the detailed reply, very informative!