How to set a field value after converting a document?

Badge +2

We have a document library with 'publicly' available Word documents. Within that library we a folder where authors upload documents that they are currently working on. I am now in the process of creating a workflow that the authors can trigger once the document is finished. The document should then be converted to PDF and copied to the root folder of the library. This all works fine, but.....

The documents have multiple tags from a termstore assigned to them (e.g. language) which also need to be present once the PDF has been created and copied. How can I set those tags? I know that there is a function "Update item" but i am not quite sure how to handover these tags from the original DOCX file to the PDF.

Hope someone can help me :-)

Simon

Edit: Basically I need a way to save the path to the new file as a variable ...hmmmm....

3 replies

Badge +11

Hi Simon,

for copying your metadata you can read the respective columns like any other column from within your workflow. You should be able to copy this metadata information by updating your item (pdf) after the conversion. Be aware that updating a metadata column via nintex workflow is not trivial. See this Blog post by Cassy Freeman‌ to get started:  

What action are you using for pdf conversion? Normally these actions return the filepath to the new file directly. If it doesn't, you need to query the file yourself.

Regards

Philipp

Badge +2

Hi Lucas...

Thanks for the reply! 

>>What action are you using for pdf conversion? Normally these actions return the filepath to the new file directly. If it doesn't, you need to query the file yourself.

I am using the out of the box convert document workflow action / Word Automation Services (and I am rather impressed with the results). The issue is that I don't know how to query for that file that this workflow action creates. I also don't seem to be able to find where this action returns the file path. 

Maybe this is something super obvious .... but at the moment it isn't to me happy.png

Thanks in advance!
Simon

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi Simon,

the path where the file has been created is the path you've specified in the Output URL field..using that you can then query the library and retrieve ID and use it inside an update action or you can try to use directly the URL to find the item you want to update.

Giacomo