Hide Nintex Forms button on ribbon

Badge +16

we are thinking of locking down the usage of Nintex Forms in our organisation to only allow site collection administrators to design and deploy Nintex forms.

We lock down Nintex workflow actions with AD groups - I was wondering if something similar is possible to lock down the usage of Nintex forms. Has anyone done anything like this already?

thanks in advance

16 replies

Badge +5

hello,

you dont want to allow the users to customize their forms?

or you dont want the users to create any new items?

Badge +16

we don't want users to customise their forms with nintex forms...

Badge +7

I've had a play with this and the Nintex Forms ribbon button is disabled if the user has Read or Contribute access, so unless they need Edit access you could simply amend their permissions.

Jan

Badge +16

Hi

I was thinking more of configuration on the farm to hide - managing it with permissions is not going to work as some users will have full control across their sites.

Thanks
Cassy

Badge +7

I don't think there is anything at farm level, the ribbon button just gets enabled/disabled based on permissions.

Badge +8

Hello Cassy Freeman​,

In lieu of farm-level configuration (and not wanting to alter permissions), you might consider using CSS or jQuery to hide Nintex Forms from users.

Nintex Forms is included in the SharePoint > List ribbon using a <DIV> with an ID of Nintex.Forms.Designer-Large. After escaping the periods (special characters), you can hide this option from the ribbon with the following CSS:

#Nintex.Forms.Designer-Large {

display: none !important;

}

If you were to setup rules based on the current users' group/permission you could make this modification client-side as the page loads.

Good luck!

Badge +16

thank you - I will forward that response to my guy that does the clever stuff happy.png

If it's the route, I will mark your answer as correct!  thanks Patrick Abel​!

Badge +8

Not a problem – hope this works for you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Cassy, did this approach suit your needs? I would agree that CSS is a great approach. I'm just worried that it also removes the button from SC admins as well.

Maybe it is possible to remove the original button this way, but then create a Custom Action to add it back in, but with the necessary handler for the correct permissions. The bad side of this is that it will have to be deployed a site collection at a time.

Badge +8

Andrew Glasser​,

Good point! You definitely wouldn't want site collection administrators losing that ability. In that case, you might hide via CSS (like the above) and then conditional show the button in the ribbon based on the current user's permission level (SC admins). happy.png

There's a few ways to do this client-side, SPServices comes to mind.

Badge +16

Hi

I don't know the ins and outs of what he did to resolve this but it's definitely along the lines of what you have suggested.  the button is now hidden from all users per site that do not exist as site collection administrators.  happy.png

I absolutely love this forum and all you wonderful people with your wonderful ideas.

Thanks
Cassy

Badge +8

Huzzah!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Awesome, could you request the code that was used? I can review it with you and help you write a blog about the approach. This would definitely be something great to share to others.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

For completeness, here is an example solution.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/zwsong/2010/04/29/how-to-hide-ribbon-from-users-without-edit-page-privilege/

Badge +16

That hides the whole ribbon though right? I only wanted a button on the ribbon hidden...

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Yes, but the principle is the same as the css selects which element of the ribbon will be hidden as mentioned earlier in the thread. The example shows how to deal with the security control in the masterpage. happy.png