Solved

convert to pdf suddenly stopped working

Badge +7

All,

the convert to PDF action suddenly stopped working. The timer job runs and it looks like it is not picking up the documents that need to be converted. It was working for a few months and suddenly stopped. Any idea what I need to do to fix this?

I restarted the server and no luck.

icon

Best answer by jesse_mchargue 20 July 2017, 15:43

View original

17 replies

Badge +7

‌ do you have any suggestions for this? You've been extremely helpful with the various posts.

Badge +7

Workflow Details   [if IE 9]  [endif]  Workflow Details   [if IE 9]  [endif] 

Conversion jobs did not complete. 1 jobs failed. 0 jobs cancelled. this is the error logged int eh workflow history list.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12

What type of documents are you attempting to convert? Did anything change recently within your environment?

Also, what are you using (2010, O365, etc)?

Badge +7

nothing has changed on our end. I am trying to convert word to pdf. We are on SharePoint 2013 on-premise.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hmmm... unfortunately I do not have a 2013 environment at my disposal with Nintex installed, but let me do some digging.

Are you doing this in a site workflow or off of a list or library?

Badge +7

thank you Jesse. It is a library workflow.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

D M‌ - 

I created a workflow in my 2010 test environment to do some testing and was able to recreate the error:

I also created the same thing in a production environment (2010) and was able to successfully convert a document to .PDF:

This leads me to believe that something in the environment is what is causing this. I did notice that in my test environment that the workflow action would take about an hour to complete, complete successfully, but return that the conversion job did not complete.

I am still searching for a specific cause and resolution, but nothing yet.

Hope this helps!

Maybe I am misunderstanding the questions but did you buy more document conversions?  When the feature was added you were only able to convert 50 documents before you have to buy more.

Badge +7

Thank you very much!! I have no idea why it stopped working but I really appreciate your help!

Badge +7

‌ is this on the Nintex side or Microsoft?

Nintex.  I may be talking about something else though because I'm on O365 and the step is called Document Generation in the workflow.  When you configure the step there is a little information bar at the top that tells you how many uses you have left.

Badge +7

I see. I am on on premise version.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

So everything that I am seeing points to the Word Automation Services that are handling the conversion.

Unfortunately this means that it is not a Nintex workflow issue, but an environmental issue .

I would start with ensuring that the services are still running and the service app permissions to the content DB are still functioning as intended.

Here are some links to help you with your search:

I am sorry that it is not an easy fix  but please let us know how you make out.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

‌ - 

Yes this action, "Convert Document", leverages the Word Automation services and does not have a limited number of uses like the Document Generation action you are referring to. 

Badge +7

Jesse, thank you so much for helping. You are awesome!! Much appreciated.

Badge +7

we've recreated a word automation service but still no luck. I will let you know what we find.

Badge +2

in my case it was also the WAS that gave the problem. I could see it in the event viewer. The message was:
Sql Database Access Error. Error Code: 0x80131904. Error Message: The EXECUTE permission was denied on the object 'proc_AddJob', database 'SP_WordAutomation', schema 'dbo'.. Error Link: .

When i gave permissions again in SQL Server it was fixed. I have had this before, for some reason this can occur (maybe because of cumulative updates)