Unable to store Action ID from To-Do task into Action ID variable

• 15 November 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

On our SharePoint 2019 on premise farm, I am trying to create a workflow that uses a To-Do task to notify and remind the assignee, but I would like the action of updating the associated list item to automatically close the To-Do item. So, for example, when the assignee gets an email, they open the list item linked in the email and change the status from 'Not Started' to some other value and save the item and that should close the open To-Do task.

5563iFFCCEA1A3F3A11CC.png

I was under the imporession that these would be the steps:

1. Create a new Variable of the Action ID type, let's call it "ActionIDVar"
  2. Create a new To-Do action, let's call it "Site Admin Task"
  3. In the "Site Admin Task" set its action id to be stored in the "ActionIDVar" I created in step 1
  4. Add a Complete Workflow Task action to my workflow and then set it to close the action ID stored in "ActionIDVar"

However I do not see a way to store the Action ID in the To Do task in Step 3. I think I have seen other posts with a screenshot that shows a place for storing an Action ID, but all I see is a Task ID.  Am I approaching this incorrectly? The documentation was not helpful.

5566i5F0A0020FE547594.png

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi,
The action ID can only be used for Request Data, Request Review actions and Request approval tasks.
Badge +1

Very well. Is there a way to cancel a To-Do Task that has been assigned to someone?

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
You can use the UpdateListItems service operation, in the Lists web service provided by SharePoint, to process task responses for workflow data or to-do tasks.