butlerj
Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Re: Workflows not continuing - Timer Service and Delays

Hi Tyler,

Let me see if I can follow up with Gabe. Unfortunately 3.2.2.0 introduced an issue where emails with complex rich text (such as a HTML table) would cause the workflow instance to consume the workflow timer job. Restarting the timer job would flush out the workflow instance, but the next workflow with the same issue would then re-hang the timer job. As such updating the solutions to the most recent build will be the only way to fully resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
waltont
Apprentice

Interesting. The issue we see is with any job that contains a simple pause but it happens across the whole of sharepoint not just the site we are working on. But i just had a revelation that may explain why this started recently for us. We had some contractors come in and do some fancy stuff with our sharepoint that was way over my head and i know a lot of their email notifications were pretty snazzy looking. The stuff I've done were basic text emails and nothing fancy outside of bolding or coloring. We might be able to disable the other site and stop their workflows from running, restart the timer job, and see if it lets the workflows loose at least until we can update.

0 Kudos
butlerj
Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Possibly. If you do go down that road I would make sure that you: 1. stop the workflow, 2. pause the Workflow timer job in Central Administration, 3. restart the SharePoint Timer Service from Services.msc on each of your SharePoint servers, 4. start the Workflow timer job again in Central Administration. This *should* release any hung workflow jobs in the timer job, and the others would then run through without touching the service; however, I have not tested the above, so I cannot guarantee that it will produce the desired results.

0 Kudos
waltont
Apprentice

Ok so a side question, if we were to update to 3.2.3.2 on the notes page it says something about April 2017 CU. Is it required for us to update to that CU in order to update to 3.2.3.2?

0 Kudos
butlerj
Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

That bit on the release notes is indicating which CU of SharePoint the release has been tested against by the Nintex QA team. You do not need to update the SharePoint CU to complete the Nintex update to build 3.2.3.2.

0 Kudos
waltont
Apprentice

Just as a follow up, after our discussion with the support team on the phone they got your message to update. We have deployed 3.2.3.2 into our development environment and it reset the timer service and all the pause actions the workflows were stuck on kicked off and completed successfully as they should have. I have high hopes that it will do the same in production when we can release on august 5th. I'll let you know. They of course have to do a full round of testing in development before we can push to production.

butlerj
Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Awesome! Glad to hear that you were able to get that sorted out in your development environment! Let me know how the update to Prod goes.

0 Kudos
waltont
Apprentice

As a follow up, production release was good and after releasing all the workflows kicked off...so everyone got spammed with everything that was held up. :\ Other than that it was ok, we expected it. Sorry on the delay, but like I said, our testing and validation process is very slow. I'm sure we're already out of date now with some other stuff that got fixed from that release.

mstrydom
Novice

We are on version 3.2.4.20 and experience the same issue where the "Pause for" action hangs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
workingjonathan

Hi M S, I believe that 3.2.4.20 is a hotfix build, however I am unaware of any issues around the timer job regarding that build. Have you opened a ticket with the support team yet? If not, I would recommend sending an email to support@nintex.com as the issue may be unrelated to the current build that you are on. I would also recommend reviewing this blog post around stuck timer jobs:  

0 Kudos