Workflow is too slow to recognize changes to users in Active Directory groups

• 11 April 2014
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

We use Active Directory groups as destination users in most of our workflows.  We are having an issue where changes to the AD groups are not propagating to the workflows quickly enough.

For example, I removed a user from an AD group at the beginning of the workday yesterday.  The user was still receiving emails from the workflow at the end of the day.  The emails finally stopped today.  Similarly, a second user I added to the group this morning has yet to start receiving emails.

Is there something I can do to speed up the propagation?

7 replies

Badge +6

Hi Nichole,

After these changes are done in the AD Groups have you tried restarting the K2 Server in the Local Services? Also is this the first time this has happened and have any changes been made to the enviroment recently.

Kind regards,

Yannick

Badge +6

Hi Nichole,

Are you using K2 roles? If so are the users within these roles set to static or dynamic? Also if users are edited in AD they also needed to edited in K2 or else K2 will keep on searching for the deleted/changed users indefinately and wont find them. What version of BP and Smartforms are you currently running? Please see below a link which dicusses K2 roles in further detail.

http://help.k2.com/helppages/k2blackpearlUserGuide4.6.4/Reference_-_K2_Roles.html

Kind Regards,

Yannick

Badge +1

Hi Yannick,

Yes, I tried restarting the K2 Server but no luck.  I also tried redeploying my workflow.  Unfortunately, it still takes about 5 hours before the workflows recognize any AD group updates.

We have been experiencing this problem since building our first workflow (in other words, I think this has always been a problem but we only noticed it after we started building workflows).  I upgraded to blackpearl 4.6.7 and smartforms 1.0.6. last week - I had hoped the upgrade would fix the problem but it did not.

This may be worth mentioning:  If I make a change to an AD group and then execute the 'AD User.GetUsersByGroup' method in the SmartObject Service Tester, the correct results are returned immediately.

Thanks for your assistance!

Nichole

Badge +1

Hi Yannick,

No, we are not using roles.  I am setting the destination user specifically to the AD group.  (Ex. K2:mydomainmyADgroup)

As I mentioned in my previous reply, we just upgraded to blackpearl 4.6.7 and smartforms 1.0.6.  But the problem also existed prior to the upgrade.

Thanks again,

Nichole

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Nichole,
Group membership is handled by the Identity Service in K2. The Identity Service refreshes group membership on a timed interval - 8 hours by default.
Please see the following documentation for more information on the topic:
http://help.k2.com/helppages/k2blackpearlgettingstarted4.6.7/Tweaking_identity_cache_performance_for_the_K2_Server.html

Hope this helps,
Gail

Badge +1

Gail - This is exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks very much, I appreciate your help!

Badge +6

Hi nichole,

Glad to hear the issue was resolved.

Kind Regards,

Yannick