Workflow start form is converting times to the local time

• 8 December 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

I have a Nintex Workflow (on-prem) with a workflow start form containing a date/time field. The date/time field is configured to display date only. When the workflow runs, Nintex is changing the default time from 12:00 AM to the local time as defined in the site's regional settings.  This seems like a bug, i.e. the user enters 12/8/2021 12:00 AM and the workflow proceeds with a different value!  I confirmed that the default SharePoint list form does not do this.  Does anybody know if Nintex forms always did this or if this is a new bug?  

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

It is not Nintex that is changing the time. The way times are handled in SharePoint is the problem. All times in SharePoint are stored in UTC time. And as you have noticed, by default if you only use the date portion of a date field, the time is set to 12:00 midnight. SharePoint then converts these times to the time that is selected in the site collection settings. To compound the problem, if users update their profile and tell SharePoint to use the time zone they specify, for those users it is converted into that time zone.

This is a good article that explains the mess of working with dates and times in SharePoint: SharePoint time, is not your time, is not their time. – Veni, Vidi, Vici (julieturner.net)

Badge +2
Thanks David, I'm not convinced it's that simple for the following reasons. If I delete the Nintex form and rerun the test using the default startworkflow.aspx page the date/time is stored correctly as 12:00 AM. It only fails when I restore the Nintex form. This workflow has been in production for at least six years and only started exhibiting this behavior in August last year - approx. 3 days after we upgraded Nintex. This is why I believe this to be an issue with Nintex