Build URL to add Sharepoint Calendar Events to Outlook Calendar

• 31 January 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

I'm trying to use workflow to generate a URL that when clicked opens an Outlook Calendar entry to save the SharePoint calendar event to the user's Outlook calendar.

There are sites detailing this on the web, but I can't seem to get it to work.  My workflow runs successfully and generates the link, but when I click the link I get an error. 

Here is the link I'm trying to build so far.  Do you notice any errors?

https://sharepointSite.com/_vti_bin/owssvr.dll?CS=109&Cmd=Display&List=%7BA04F0065-426E-4871-BACB-865189F23BF1%7D&CacheControl=1&ID={ItemProperty:ID}&Using=event.ics

Here is one of the sites I was using to build this:  https://prezi.com/ifd-8gwstckq/sharepoint-lesson-38-create-an-ics-ical-file-for-outlook-calendar/

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hello,

the links seems to be ok. Just to make sure, the List ID is the corrent one of your list right? And in your environment you replaced https://sharepointSite.com/ with the site collection url your workflow is running in, right?

Kind regards,

Enrico

Badge +3

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the list ID is from the URL of the calendar list settings page.  I also tried adding the list ID with {} brackets instead of %7B / %7D on the ends of the ID - still didn't work. 

Yes, I used my own sharepoint site link - just can't post that as it's a company internal site.  I also tried various iterations of this site link (ie.  just the root of the site vs. a full path to the calendar list).  Neither seems to work.  Just the root site link returns an error; the full path link takes me to the item display page, but doesn't open the calendar entry.

You can click any SP calendar entry and find the button under Custom Commands in the ribbon.  This button opens an outlook calendar window you can save to Outlook.  I'm trying to create this link in my list so I can display it various other places or email it to recipients. 

198187_pastedImage_1.png

Badge +3

I figured this out!

The site path in my link, and maybe the format of my list ID were not exactly correct.  The way I finally got the correct link was to download a SP calendar event using the button provided under Custom Commands called "Export Event".  This opens the download dialogue for IE:

198197_pastedImage_1.png

After I saved the file, in IE I clicked Tools > View Downloads.  From the downloads window that opened, I right-clicked on the downloaded calendar event and selected 'Copy Download Link'.  This provided the correct format for the link, including the list ID.  I just had to update the property for item ID in the link and all works as expected.

198198_pastedImage_2.png

I built a simple workflow that creates the download link, and adds it to a multi line text list column as a link (<a href="link"> Add to Outlook Calendar </a>.  Now, when I click the 'Add to Outlook Calendar' link in my calendar event list, it auto-opens the save dialogue.

198199_pastedImage_3.png