Task notifications Sent Before Task is Created

Badge +7

I'm using SP 2013. This particular workflow has been working very well, but now it has started sending task notifications before the actual task is created. 

Is this a known issue, and if so, does anyone have any idea how I can make sure the task is created before the email is sent? when clicking the link from the generated email it lists the correct task ID, but the task is not yet created, and the customer gets this error message 

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

you do not have control over it.

check whether your env do not suffer from performance.

check whether respective task list is not too big and possibly clean it.

Badge +7

Performance on the web front ends, and app server is not even close to 25% on CPU and less than 50% on RAM.

I created a new task list and got the same result, the previous one only has 80 tasks in it.

Is there any thing specifically on the servers that I can monitor while these tasks should be created to see where the issue may be.

Thank you,

Josh Henderson

Sr. SharePoint Administrator

Auburn OIT | 300 Lem Morrison Drive

(334) 844-9344 | hendejs@auburn.edu<mailto:hendejs@auburn.edu?subject=Clicked%20From%20Email%20Signature> | @SharePointAU

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I don't think there is anything specific you could check.

it's single workflow action that internally needs to perform several operations within sharepoint.

you just might guess what  might cause delays in creating task. typical reason might be ones I mentioned above.

one another idea(s)

- check further (and possibly clean) as well size of workflow history list

- how big is your source list?

do you use item level permissions on it?

do you set/manipulate permissions within task action and/or (shortly) before task action?

Badge +7

1. how do you get to the workflow history list? 

2. Source list has about 10 items

3. Yes, i change the permissions in the workflow and then apply changes a few actions before the flexi-task issue

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

1. site settings >> Manage workflow history lists (or smth like that)

3. try to add commit pending changes and/or  pasuse for action right before flexi task. setting permissions is quite costly/slow action. it may happen notification is already received while permission changes settle down.

Badge +1

Hi Josh, we are having the same issue, were you able to find a solution for it? thanks in advance.

Badge +7

Commit pending and/ or pause did not solve the issue. sad.png

Badge +7

I'll be happy to help when i learn what is causing it. I have created the site thinking it was the site i created because it wasn't happening anywhere else in the farm, but it was to no avail. Nintex support has the workflow now verifying it's design and trying to figure out what is causing it.

Badge +1

Thanks Josh, We have a ticket open as well. if yours is resolved first, let us know and same for us as well.

Badge +7

My ticket did not get resolved. However, I created a work around with other workflows. 

So mine was using a parallel action with the first action in each branch being a flexi-task. That is where the issue was... I could not resolve. 

So i created a WF for each branch, and replaced the flexi-task with a Start WF action and selected to wait for completion. 

This is not ideal, but it is working.

Badge +1

We have a parent/child WF situation, where we have 4 child wfs. Josh, would you mind sharing the design canvas to have a visual understanding of your workaround?