Filtering People Picker to Single Domain

Badge +1

I’ve run into a bit of an issue with the people picker on a form.  In our organization we have multiple user domains in active directory.  The domains that the people picker queries can only be configured at a web application level and as such it has been setup to query all the domains.  I now have a form with a few people fields on it and I want to restrict those fields to only query users in one specific domain and haven’t had much luck.  I’ve tried the following with no success:

1. Modify the peoplepicker-searchadforests property using stsadm but this can only be configured at a web application level which won’t work as I don’t want to create a second web app just for managing this type of form field.
  2. Filtering the People or Group field on the list by specifying a SharePoint group. This can’t be done because I want all domain users for one specific domain.  I did try adding All Domain users to a SharePoint group and assigning that as the SharePoint Group for the field but it doesn’t work.  When you do that the people picker doesn’t see any users as it can’t seem to resolve the reference to <domain>domain users.  I also don’t want to manually add the users to a SharePoint group as that is something that would have to be maintained and would not be preferred as it would have to be scheduled and constantly updated.

Has anyone else run into a similar issue and if so how did you get around it?

2 replies

Badge +2

Have you been able to get this figured out?

Badge

We are also running into this same issue. Does anyone have a solution on how to filter by domain?