show data from a text file - is it possible?

• 16 March 2017
  • 8 replies

Badge +11

Hello

I am aware that you can create a workflow to pull out the information from an imported spreadsheet or a custom list.
However, would that also be possible from a text file ?!

my colleague used SAP to export a txt file (to our shared drive) for all First Aid users being on the site.
the file looks like this...

Now I been asked to show these users on our Intranet page (SharePoint 2013).

Is there a method to do it via a workflow somehow .. or would it be just a case of an iframe?!

Though only the names and possibly the status is required

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

wouldn't it be a solution to use sharepoint's document library as a export files store?

users can map document library to a local drive/folder and work with it like with local filesystem

Badge +8

Hi Bim Bimi‌,

If I were you, I would use PowerShell (Server) or PnP-PowerShell (Client) (https://github.com/SharePoint/PnP-PowerShell) to process the SAP exported text file and add the information you want to a SharePoint list (which is shown on a page on the intranet). What?? No Nintex?? silly.png

Cheers,

Rick

Badge +5

in my experience a simple c# app will do the trick to import data to sharepoint and it will be way faster

Badge +11

Hi

as far as I know, the SAP uses an FTP to export that txt file to our shared drive and we tried to make it store the file directly into the sharepoint file directory but does not work as FTP is blocked (cannot be unblocked for sec reasons).

Then what I done so far is, used the Content Editor webpart and pasted an embedded html code that points to the files stored in our shared drive e.g F:SAPexportFirstAider.txt

This at least shows the data as the actual txt file.
Though ideally wanted to show only names and the status but yeh it would take a lot of scripting, which I don't know.

Badge +11

thanks for the suggestions but my scripting and PowerShell is not something I been doing for living sad.png
stuff like embedded html code within a content editor webpart pointing to the file in shared folder - seems to be ok

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I assume the share is published from some windows host.

then I would say it doesn't matter.

you can map F: drive to a UNC path to SP's doc library as a network share.

or you can even create symlink/junction SAPExport folder to point to UNC path to SP's doc library.

SAP/FTP will not care where file is physically being stored.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi Bim BimiPatti Naccarati

were you able to resolve your problem?

if so, could you select an answer that helped you and mark it 'correct answer'?

Badge +11

Hello Marian

my last solution was to use the extracted .txt file and embed it on Sharepoint.

This work ok at minute .... thanks