Run as workflow owner missing

• 30 January 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

I have read several blogs about the ability to run an action set as the Workflow Owner (publisher) instead of the initiator of the workflow.

The option to do this is missing from a workflow I am troubleshooting,  yet I am a Site Collection Admin and Farm Admin.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Thank you

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

don't you have nested your action in another action set resp. another action that already forced to run workflow with owner's permissions.

if so, you not not change it anymore in that case

Badge +16

where is your action set?  if it is under any branching (switch, state machine etc) the option will be missing.

Badge +2

Thank you Cassy and Marian for the replies.

The action is farther down the workflow so that makes sense why this functionality is missing.  But when I "go up" the workflow to the top actions, I do not see that functionality.  But funny enough if I drop an action set right at the root of the workflow, I do get the option to run the workflow as the owner.

Badge +16

yes it does need to be the configuration on the action set.  if you want the whole workflow to run as you drop an action set at the top (and set to run as workflow owner) and then drag rest of the workflow into it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

in case you need to impersonate in the middle of existing workflow, move all the needed activities to a separate workflow and set up impersonation there. in existing workflow just make a call to start new workflow.