HELP! Error in task. Object reference not set to an instance of an object

• 19 December 2017
  • 10 replies

Badge +11

Hey All

This is more or less same topic as here:

https://community.nintex.com/thread/14345-flexi-task-error-in-task-object-reference-not-set-to-an-instance-of-an-object

The workflow did work in the past and all of sudden there is an error:

Error in task. Object reference not set to an instance of an object

The content list called Forms has got following users:

Members (contribution rights)

Secretary (approval rights)

The Workflow Task has got Secretary (approval rights).

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Secretary must have contribute permissions.

Take a look at >>> https://help.nintex.com/en-US/nintex2013/help/#Workflow/RootCategory/Configuration/Nintex.Workflow.SecuritySettings.htm 

Badge +9

To me, that error seems like whatever variable is being used in the flexi task isn't proper. Try logging the variables used into the workflow history and check the values, make sure they are correct. Do all of the workflows being ran produce the error or is it only certain ones?

Badge +11

Hi,

The secretary has got approval rights which included the contribution rights as far as I know. In mean time, I have removed a variable REF which was a text field and was used in reference to make it look as Ref: current date - ID.

Now I have removed the variable and one of the user's is getting this error when workflow is run;

Failed to send notification. The specified string is not in the form required for an e-mail address.

I have an email notification to : Request (also tried with initiator).

The Request is a group/people field which automatically fills in the user name via Current User reference.

the error to me indicates that the user's email address is not a right format!!

But the fact is that I created the user and the email is the right format ...

Badge +11

Yes, anybody ran into the same error.

Removed the variable and also added the Members as READ to Workflow Task - which works for now.

But now another error is appearing, see above.

Badge +9

log the variable in the workflow history log and see what value it's returning.

Badge +11

if I know how to ... :/

Badge +9

Add this before the action that is erring.

211642_pastedImage_1.png

Within it, add the variables you want to test.

211673_pastedImage_2.png

When you run the workflow, click on the item that is running it - the ... and click Workflows. This will open a window that shows all workflows that have run on that item. Click the latest workflow that is running. Within that will show the log to history and you'll see the values of the variables you put in the action.

It will look something like this

211674_pastedImage_3.png

Badge +11

Yes, done that and it logs the domain/username.

I am suspecting that the new user's data has not been replicated to sharepoint as yet.

It works fine with other user accounts.

Unsure though what caused the very initial problem? I am suspecting either it was the Variable (which I doubt) or because the Members had no Read permission to the Workflow Task.

Badge +9

Are you using on prem sharepoint? If the user is a new user, SharePoint's UserProfileService can take awhile for it to sync with AD and into SP. All depends on the settings your SP Admin has put in place for it.

Badge +11

Not sure about prem sharepoint but I am not the main admin of SP.
Just figured out that it does synch every Sunday ... but that is strange because the user was created last week.

As I posted this thread, half an hour later; all of the sudden the user's information was updated into SharePoint.
At the minute, the workflow runs fine ... and yet fail to understand what it caused the initial error message.

I suspect the user must have at least READ access to the Workflow List.