Not applicable

Workflow Stucks on "Set field Value"

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

we are using Workflow 2010 Eingine on SP2010 Server.

Today an issue came up, that a wf instance stucks.

The wf progress shows, that the wf stucks on an action of the type "set field value".

Detail view only provide the information, that this action is incomplete (Since 10/13/14).

We just restarted SP Timer Service ( I found this hint for diffrent wf actions, but I thought it was worth a try), did not help 

The strange part is, this is not a general problem. The same wf worked fine many times on other items in the same library and with the identical content type.

My question is: Is there any option (e.g. with powershell commands) to restart/skip the current action and save me from terminating this whole wf instance?

Kind regards

Michael

0 Kudos
7 Replies
amigooo
Forms Fledgling

Re: Workflow Stucks on "Set field Value"

Jump to solution

Is it a library or a list where you want to update? If it is a library maybe the document is checked out or in use?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi Christian,

it is indeed a library. Also the document is checked out, but this is ok by design:

The workflow checks out the document to the workflow initiator and the initiator gets full controll on this document, while workflow is running.

So especially this is no question of permissions.

And document should not be in use, workflow is stucking for days now.

I guess this is just an unexspected behaviour because of a "hiccup" in the system. Just wondering if there is any intervention options on the current instance (e.g. with powershell)

0 Kudos
amigooo
Forms Fledgling

Jump to solution

I don't believe there is a possibility to change the current instance of the workflow on this item. What happens if you terminate and restart the workflow?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Technically there is no big deal in terminating the instance and restart it.

But it is one of the last few steps after a long series of approval process and it will take some time, till every involved person does respond again.

0 Kudos
amigooo
Forms Fledgling

Jump to solution

Understand. We have a document management system which have also big approval system. Sorry I have no good idea how to change current instance.

0 Kudos
FredrikAndresen
Forms Fledgling

Jump to solution

I have had the same problem, and my experience is that a webservice call to Lists.asmx is more reliable.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<soap:Envelope xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:m="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/soap/">

<soap:Header>

</soap:Header>

<soap:Body>

<m:UpdateListItems>

<m:listName>{Common:ListName}</m:listName>

<m:updates>

<Batch OnError="continue" PreCalc="TRUE">

<Method ID="1" Cmd="Update">

<Field Name="ID">{ItemProperty:ID}</Field>

<Field Name="FieldName">Value</Field>

</Method>

</Batch>

</m:updates>

</m:UpdateListItems>

</soap:Body>

</soap:Envelope>

0 Kudos
josh
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi Michael Hess​,

You're probably correct that an isolated error in the system caused the problem. If it's something that occurs very rarely and can't be easily explained, I usually don't bother to look deep into it. I simply restart the workflow or take some other "one-off" corrective action.

To answer your actual question - no. There is no way to manipulate an individual instance of a running workflow. There are, however, workarounds!

Our friend Vadim Tabakman​ has a great article on his blog regarding how to build a workflow that can return to the current state in the event of an error or cancellation for some reason. Nintex Workflow - Smart Restart Workflow (middle of a workflow) - Vadim Tabakman 

I do this quite often. My favorite approach is to use a custom Status field that can be managed by the workflow and used to identify the current state in the workflow. There are other approaches too. For example, when this type of issue occurs you have to restart the workflow.. right? Well if you manually start it, you can complete some initiation fields that are linked back to workflow variables. One of the initiation fields could be Start State, which drives what state the workflow will returns to.

Hope this helps!

-Josh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos