Destination Queue vs Group

• 1 September 2007
  • 8 replies

Badge +9

Hi All,

What are the advantages of using a Destination Queue instead of a Group in the Destination Rule ?

Pls guide,

Thanks and Regards

8 replies

Badge +9

You have the option to use dynamic destination queues.  When the destination queue information is refreshed, it also adds/remove the required worklist items in the worklist table for the added/removed users.  This is really useful as it helps to cut down on K2 administration if the organization structure is fluid.

Badge +9

Expanding on johnny's comments...

Also AD Groups referenced directly within a Destination Rule are resolved at design time.  You can see this in action if you drag an AD Group out into a Destination Rule, you will see it resolve immediately and add the individual users to the Destination Rule, not the actual group.

If you create a Destination Queue (DQ) that references an AD Group, the K2 server intermittently (default is every 10 minutes) caches the members of that group within its internal Destination Queue datastore.  Thus if a Destination Rule is using that DQ it can more accurately reflect the actual AD group membership.

Badge +9

Hi Bob,

Thanks a lot for replying.

What is dynamic destination queue ? and U have replied with respect to AD. But what about SQLUM and QUEUE. How does a queue behave ?

Pls guide.

Thanks and Regards.

Badge +9

If a Destination Queue is setup to point at an AD group, there is a background thread that intermittently caches the members of this AD group within the DQ area of the K2 Database.  If an activity uses this DQ as the basis for a destination rule, there is the abilty "Use Dynamic Queues for this Activity" (this is a checkbox on the Activities general dialog).  If this is checked, then when this background thread runs to refresh the DQ (add/remove people to the DQ based upon entires/exists from the AD group) it will add/remove worklist items for these affected people also.

I believe this functionality only works with DQs that point at AD Groups.

Badge +11

Just a small addition to Bob's response...

If I remember correctly, SQLUM has also got this functionality built in.

Regards,

Ockert

Badge +9

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for replying.

Can I achieve this :

I have a group of 5 users . I assign a queue as the destination for an activity. The queue has the group in it.

I export the process and trigger it. So worklist is created for 5 users.

Now I add one more user to the group thus making the total no of users in the group to 6 . If I trigger the process , then will  worklist be created for 6 users without exporting the process. I am using SQLUM.

Please guide.

Thanks and Regards.

Badge +11

Hi sourcecode,

Yes, this is exactly the scenario what Destination Queues were designed for.

Regards,

Ockert

Badge +9

sourcecode,

Something to keep in mind when you try this out.  Destination Queues have a refresh interval (default is 10 minutes and can be configured in Service Manager).  When a DQ refreshes is when it will add/remove worklist items for all active Activties that have this option selected based on the change in membership.  Thus you may add someone to a group between refresh intervals and not see it reflected immediately in that person's worklist.  If you need it to reflect immediately, you can force the DQ to refresh manually in Service Manager.