Solved

Workflow Issue: Multiple Selection field in Query List

• 13 April 2021
  • 6 replies

I'm having an issue with the Query List action in Workflow.

I want it to filter on a multiple selection field

To clarify: For whichever combination of choices are selected for the item the workflow is running for, I want the Query List to find all other items in the library with the same combination. Query List works if I put in a specific combination and run the workflow so I know everything else is calibrated properly. I need the workflow to work for all combinations though.

I've tried a few different options including:

Converting the multiple selection field to a text string along with removing commas and white space using the convert to text and regular expression actions to see if that made a difference

Tried using contain instead of equals as seen below

17351i1F7208E707A6AD9D.png

Any help is much appreciated.

icon

Best answer by Aleximo 16 April 2021, 09:13

View original

6 replies

Badge +8

hey,

when u set ur TopicText variable (Text Variable) try it like this:

after that u can lookup ur list and save the values (in my example the IDs) in a collection variable.

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately that solution doesn't seem to work for me.

I don't see a topic list in my query list action and if I use the library I'm searching in. It doesn't pick up any items.

What I'm really after is how does workflow store a multiple selection field, and how can I use it with the query list action to find items that have the same multiple selection combination as the item I'm running the workflow for.

Thanks,

Badge +8

oh... the topic list is just an example... u have to select ur list where the new item is created.

u have to store the multipleselection field in a TEXT VARIABLE and then u have to get the value like i did in my first screenshot.

set ur text variable: urvariablename

lookup in list --> current item -- > ur multipleselection field

it works in my testworkflow:

the first row is my CollID ... the second is the text variable TopicText .. and the last is the multipleselection value when i would choose "Topic" in my filter

maybe u can add some screenshots of the steps and then i can help u to find the error

Here is the series of actions I have set up.

1) The build string takes in the "Topic" which is the multiple selection field and converts it to a string.

2) I'm having a hard time understanding what exactly I'm doing with the set variable that the build string isn't doing but I have it in there like you had in your post.

3) Then I query the library I'm working out of to find all other items with the same multiple field selection.

4) I then output the list ID in an email

Let me know what I'm missing to get my workflow to work. Your help is much appreciated.

Badge +8

U dont need the build string element.

my workflow looks like this:

and because the set variable and lookup in list looks fine in ur screenshots, it has to be ur variable "TopicText" .. u have to create it like this:

Thank you your help.

That resolved the issue.