What are the implications of changing the Source List for a List Lookup control on a Nintex form?

• 4 August 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

Specifically what are the implications for the existing records that used that old lookup list? Do they still contain their existing data and can the 'current' form with the new lookup list display the existing data?

We're running Nintex Forms 2010 Standard.

Let me know if you require any additional information.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

once you change source list, all data will be shown from new list. both for new and old items.

for old items it will show a lookup item from new source list with the same ID as originally selected from old list.

Badge +16

Just did a quick test for you.

Had a lookup list A which had values Z, Y, X, W, ..., C, B, A

Had a lookup list B which has values A, B, C, D, ..., X, Y, Z

So the values were the same in the list but the IDs of the values were not.

Initially had my main list use listA as a lookup and created an item with value Z

Changed lookup in form to listB and edited the above item, see results below:

So I would be very careful here.  Seems to me like it would only be OK to switch if your values and IDs match.

Badge +3

Thanks very much Cassy. I will mark this as the correct answer. I have since made the time to do some testing too and the only thing that I would add is that if the new list doesn't include an ID from the previous list it throws an error and the form doesn't open. The same happens when you delete a record from any list that is used as a source for a Lookup List control.

Ignoring changing the source for a Lookup List control, often a source list needs to have inactive records deleted from it so that it is up to date and users can't select inactive records. However if you do this any historical items in the list that use the inactive records will throw an error and their forms won't open. Any suggestions for a good way to manage these lists?

I probably should enter this as a separate post??