Not applicable

Where are workflow variables stored?

Jump to solution

I have a workflow configured to have several variables accounted for upon starting.  Is there anywhere within the workflow history I can see what these variables were set to when the workflow was started?

For instance I have an escalation set to have the user define the delay until escalation.  When troubleshooting, how can I see what was chosen upon starting the workflow?  If the person thinks they chose 1 hour but really chose 1 day that would change expectations but if you can't go back and see what you did, you can't know for sure.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
11 Replies
fhunth
Workflow Veteran

Re: Where are workflow variables stored?

Jump to solution

You can log it on the Workflow History.

Where does the user set the time, on the workflow? on a form?

View solution in original post

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks Fernando,

The information is not in the workflow history that I can see and I don't see any way to change my view of this page. Could this be a limitation set up by my company?

The person starting the workflow enters this information when they start the workflow.  I have 7 variables set to prompt the user to modify them as they start approval for a given document.  They can accept defaults or modify them.  Three of the variables are used by the to set 'Time to escalation'.  While testing I have made the time to escalation very small (1-5 minutes). 

Side note: Do you know if there is a limit to how small the Time to escalation can be? mine is not working at all and I have set it as long as an hour and waited nearly 2 hours and still the escalation process had not triggered.

Since my escalations are not happening at all and that made me question if I had entered the time correctly so I started looking for these variables.  I think users would want to be able to do this as well if they forgot what they chose as they started their approval process.

0 Kudos
mapeacock
Design Dabbler

Jump to solution

Hi Steve,

Within the Workflow settings, you need to turn on Verbose Logging. This will then show you the full details of the before and after each worflow control when you click on the control in the workflow history view. All workflow variables are shown. All form variables will be shown in the FormData xml, also visible here.

Of course, it is reccommended to not have the verbose logging turned on in a production workflow, bu tfor debug type needs only.

Regards,

Mark

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks Mark,

Unfortunately, that feature is disabled on our server and I am just a site admin. I don't expect the company will be enabling it anytime soon because of the possible overhead.

Steve

0 Kudos
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

If you use the Log In History action to write your variable value, it will appear in the workflow history.

mapeacock
Design Dabbler

Jump to solution

Steve,

As burkslm suggests, you could log the values into history. I would certainly pursue the ability to have verbose logging enable, certainly within the workflow development site at least. It is an invaluable tool when developing your workflows.

Cheers,

Mark

burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

The verbose logging is great for development as Mark says. But it is a performance hog.

xMikeX
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

Did using the "Log to history" solve your issue?

Not applicable

Jump to solution

It helps me to prove to our support staff that the variables wee what I say they were when the workflow was started.

0 Kudos