Not applicable

When someone selects an item from a drop down list that I created on a form, what rule what would I use to populate information based on that specific item they chose? So that information thats relevant pops up accoridng to the option they chose?

When someone selects an item from a drop down list that I created on a form, what rule what would I use to populate information based on that specific item they chose? So the information that's relevant to their choice shows up or has another question associated with it?! Any suggestions?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
tbeduneau
Apprentice

Re: When someone selects an item from a drop down list that I created on a form, what rule what would I use to populate information based on that specific item they chose? So that information thats relevant pops up accoridng to the option they chose?

If I understand well, you want, for example, display adress and phone number corresponding to the customer name you selected in the drop down ?

Where are your datas stored ? SharePoint list ? SQL Server ? ... ?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Re: When someone selects an item from a drop down list that I created on a form, what rule what would I use to populate information based on that specific item they chose? So that information thats relevant pops up accoridng to the option they chose?

My data is stored on a SharePoint list. to go along with your example...lets say a customer chooses answes the following.....

Do you have a cell phone?

yes

no

If the customer says yes, I want another question to populate right under the first question to then ask

What is your cell number?

That's the general idea as I have a lot of questions that if a certain individual chooses one drop down answer over the other, different questions then apply. Currently I have two separate questions as the latter says, again going along with the example, ...."If you put yes to previous question, what's your number"

0 Kudos
tbeduneau
Apprentice

In the case you describe, you should use conditionnal formatting:

- design a panel with the conditionnal fileds (Ex : "What is your cell number")

- on this panel add a rule....formatting..."hide"

- write your rule in the condition, for example "CellPhone == no" if CellPhone is the name of your YES/NO field

So, if your checkbox isn"t checked,  or your radio button set to no, your panel will hide.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi, john hansen​! Let us know how it works out for you. Thanks!

Frank

Your community manager

0 Kudos
Not applicable

This is great. To add a step further, what if the drop down menu has 10 options, and one of the options requires additional information, what rule or process would I then use to populate those fields to capture that additional information? Suggestions!

Otherwords , I don't want any information showing, only if they choose certain options from the drop down box.

0 Kudos
v_kittilson
Scholar

Hi John,

I needed something similar. This is what I did.

First I created a Choice control and set it to multiple selections. I named mine Details.

You could change it to a drop down list if you only want one choice at a time selected.

choice.PNG

I created a panel to place my related fields. One for each selection (choice) is best. I only need one as I only need other fields to show for one of my selections. If you will use this in other layouts (mobile, etc.), give the panel a Name so you can find it to add, especially if you already have a different layout created.

panel.PNG

Next I created my related controls. For my design I only need ones for "Creates Future Expenditures" . You can make as many panels containing controls you need, it is the rules that make the difference.

I placed them in the panel. I found that if I have multiple controls a panel keeps things aligned once I publish the form.

Related.PNG

Now, I set up the rules on the PANEL so if it doesn't contain the selection "Creates Future Expenditures" the entire panel is hidden.

Rule.PNG

If you only need one control to un-hide with a selection, you may not need a panel. But if your controls bounce around when you make your selection, I suggest a panel to control their movement.

Let me know if this answers your question.

Thanks,

Vickie

0 Kudos