Step-by-step Nintex Workflow with Exchange virtual dev environment

• 30 November 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

Does anyone have a link to some step-by-step instructions to getting started using Nintex with Microsoft Exchange (or other email software) on a SharePoint 2013 virtual machine? I have searched everywhere and still am unable to find a good document that includes the configuration of SP2013 for email, Microsoft Exchange, Nintex workflow all on one virtual development environment. Seems like it is not well documented so I am preparing to blog about how to do this in the future.I have a MSDN subscription but no information what needs to be configured to get Nintex Workflow and Nintex forms to work all on one virtual machine without having to use a real production environment for the email notifications (if that is even possible).

Thank you for your time.

6 replies

Badge +9

You're trying to install SharePoint 2013 on a single VM with Exchange on the same VM? Same VM is going to be your AD/DNS/DC? Do you already have a SP13 environment up and running on the VM?

Badge +1

Hi Chadd, Yes. To be clear, I have everything on one vmware machine (SP2013, AD, DNS, Group Policy, Nintex Workflow 2013, Nintex Form 2013, and connections to my gmail for alerts and also notifications). The next step is to configure my vmware vm for lazyapproval notifications using Microsoft Exchange as my email server and maybe installing Outlook 2013. For now I would like to develop my Nintex Workflows on one single vm to make things easy since I am just getting started. Maybe later I can figure out how to network 2 or more vms together but for now I wanted to keep it easy as possible. So far I am unable to find any documentation how to do this, so if you have any suggestions where I can see the step-by-step configuration, that would be great. Otherwise I will have to make my own documentation as I go and share on my blog. I am curious how other people got started. They must have had help with this installed in a production environment with Exchange setup for them. I would like to do everything on one development machine (if that is even possible).

Badge +9

That seems like a lot of work... You're probably better off creating a separate site collection for Nintex development. As for creating an entire lab to host SharePoint/Exchange/Nintex, I don't think you'll find much on the web. Better luck configuring them separate. https://absolute-sharepoint.com/2013/07/free-step-by-step-sharepoint-server-2013-lab-guides-by-microsoft.html - then I would assume you just follow the same install instructions Nintex provides with the product download

Badge +1

Thanks for the link. What do you mean create a separate site collection for Nintex Development? I already did, but don't get how that will let me view/respond to Nintex email notifications so the workflow can continue. That is what I am trying to accomplish, and yes, it is lots of work. I wish there was an easy way to develop approval workflow without having to do all the email back and forth, but that is the only way I know how I to test it right now. Hopefully, there is a easier way to develop workflow without having to do that.

Badge +9

When I test, I have a separate site collection where I am the only one with permissions. I add test accounts to the site as well to mimic user approvals. Most of the approval notifications, I just put myself in place of the actual person while I test; that way when emails are sent, they are only sent to me. Once the workflow is to be pushed to production, I migrate it and the change my name to the actual approvers in place.

Badge +1

Ah, ok. That does sound easier. Thank you!