I am having trouble with Panel Formatting

Badge +7

I am trying to create Panels on my forms, but am having trouble getting the fields inside the panel.

1.  After I created a form, I realized that Panels would make my life easier.   I wanted to move fields, which were previously placed on the form" into several different panels.  However, when multiple fields are selected, then dragged into the panel, they did not seem to be part of the panel.  I know this because when I move the panel, the fields do not move with it. 

2.  So, I started moving the fields that were already on the form, one at a time, into the panel.  While doing this, I noticed that the gridlines within the panel changed when the fields actually became part of the panel - most of the time, but not all of the time.

So, my questions are:

1.  Is there a way to add a panel to a form 'after" fields are already on the form - by either placing the panel "over" the fields, or by placing the panel onto the form and dragging multiple fields onto the panel at one time.

2.  Or must I moved fields and labels, one at a time, onto the panel?

2.  Is there a secret to adding forms to panels?

Thank you.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi Susie Shaffer‌ -- 

To your questions ... 

1 - "Is there a way to add a panel to a form after (by placing over).." 

No, not at this point in time.

2 - "Must I move fields, one at a time, onto the panel?"

No - you can actually select them (either by dragging a box around them, or Ctrl + Clicking each one) and drag them all onto the panel at the same time.

3 - "Is there a secret to adding fields to panels?"

No, not really - my only comment would be that it is way less painful if you design first, so you don't have to add one in after the fact - but that isn't very helpful is it! happy.png  I would say to make sure the panel turns grey when you drag your item(s) into it so you can ensure the panel contains them, and, be sure to keep your panel edges flush with the panels around them to minimize blank spaces in your form.

Cheers!

rhia

Badge +7

Very helpful - Thank you!  

So when a Nintex form is first created, all of the columns are copied to the form.  Since I want all of the columns in panels, I guess it is difficult to take advantage of this feature, right? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Oh - no, not at all!

Here is how I would do it:

Step 1) Brand new form, all the columns are copied (as you say)

Step 2) Use your Nintex Form Settings and set the height of the form to twice the current size

Step 3) In the bottom part of the form, create each of the panels you'd like to create

Step 4) Drag & drop each of the fields from above into their respective panels

Step 5) Move each panel up to the top in the (now) empty space (since all the fields have been dragged into panels

Step 6) Reduce the size of your form height back to what it was before.

It looks like a lot of steps but in actuality this would take you maybe 5 minutes tops, only if you had a TON of fields happy.png