Debugging with Visual Studio 2008

• 26 January 2011
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

Hi all,

What is the most recommended (and widely practiced) way of debugging an ASP.NET web solution that uses K2 blackpearl for workflow? We have many aspx pages with custom code which then call WCF services, which call K2 API to trigger/update processes on the K2 blackpearl workflow server. If we step through line by line in our custom code, is it possible to use the same step through debugging into the K2 API calls in our code? The K2 server sits on a separate server (no Visual Studio installed on that server) and not installed on developer's local machine. The scenario that I am trying to debug is when somthing fails in a Server Event in k2 (say update to our application db failed). We only get to know of it when we realize that the process is in error state using the K2 Studio/K2 workspace. Is there a way to debug the entire solution end-to-end, by stepping through each line of code in our aspx.cs files as well as the K2 API (and code in Server Event)? I am sorry if this has been discussed somewhere else but I couldn't find much info apart from the post that has a WMV video on how to perform debugging using Visual Studio. Just wanted to know what people are doing out there and which practices are widely followed. Thanks a lot.

1 reply

Badge +5

I typically have a Remote Debugging session running on the K2 Server and then attach my development box Visual Studio to the remote K2 server.  If you're attempting to debug the workflow code, then you'll have to take a similar approach.  If you're attempting to debug the ASP.NET K2 API code, then you'll take your typical debug approach with attaching that code to the w3svc process.  I'm not sure (haven't tried) if having the K2 workflow and ASP.NET projects in the same solution and attaching to both the K2 server and the IIS server would work, but it would be nice.